or Connect

Posts by teastaigh

Yes, I know many homeschooling, employed single moms. In general, people who have a heart for homeschooling and try it, do find that they are successful. Personally, after many years and different groups, I don't see employment, partnership, finances, etc. as limiting factors. What I do see is that people who truly enjoy their child's company can make homeschooling work. I'm thinking of "work" in terms of the whole child. Academics are important, but so is the spirit of...
My seventh-grade son and I are using Oak Meadow. We love this approach. The grammar and spelling, etc. are not rote work and worksheets. Most of the writing assignments we do are about our history or science. We spend a lot of time reading aloud. If I had to do it on a thrift or even no-money-at-all approach, I'd go to Oak Meadow's website, get the book list, and get them from the library. I'd combine this with weekly creative writing as well as report writing. It's taken...
The actual book itself has a one-description that I think would be worth reading if you are interested in a summary. The book costs 50 cents or so, is plentiful in libraries, and is available free online. Anyway, the approach is a natural one that includes the natural process of decoding with both whole language and phonics without breaking it down in a painful manner for the student.   A mom who used McGuffey to teach reading naturally describes it...
We've got "It's Amazing" and a couple of other books. The Kingfisher book on Anatomy for little kids actually covered the topic -- much to my surprise! -- quite well for my kids when they were in 2nd/3rd grade.   I talk about sex fairly often to my, now teen, boys. It comes up in lyrics that we hear, in movie scenes, and in our studies. In World Geography, we talk about family planning and about the politics of that and the social ramifications for women. So many women...
My husband and I are homeschooling because I just absolutely knew in my heart that this was the path for my oldest son. Over the years, I've added many other reasons to keep homeschooling. Each of my children has a slightly different advantage that they receive from homeschooling: my oldest is sensitive, motivated, and loves to have lots of time to do projects. My youngest is a gentle giant, a sweetheart, who would be lost in the chaos of a large classroom.   My youngest...
In general, places where the public schools are not well-funded have the strongest homeschooling communities. The lack of funding can be because of overall poverty or because of the values of the legislature and the people, but I've found this to be generally true -- though of course, there are a couple of exceptions.   We have large and strong homeschooling communities in some areas of Colorado. I think some states have strong Christian homeschooling communities, but...
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ...   If "weird" is atypical then bring on the weird!     My children have been homeschooling for 13-16 years and are frequently told that they have great social skills, shine in front of a crowd, and can speak to and get along with anyone. Adults are often refreshed to meet teens who relish in speaking with them and who are uber polite. We know most of the long-term homeless in our town as well as many elderly from all of our volunteering. My kids...
I bought this book but did not enjoy it at all, and so, we set it aside. I think there are many successful approaches, and it's good to know ourselves and switch things up so that they are natural and fit us as well as our children.   We've used Oak Meadow for 12+ years now. The best "advice" on reading I've ever received came from the first page of the old-fashioned 1902 McGuffey reader. I settled right down, took their approach, read every day to all of our children,...
I hear what you are saying and am leaning the same way myself. DH says no more flu vaccines for him ever after he got some kind of reaction last year. And we've read some scary things about the cervical-cancer HPIV shot and reduced future fertility -- not something I want to decide for my child.   Anyway, how about a naturopath? We get yearly check-ups from one who does applied kinesthetics and nutritional counseling. It's really helped us to avoid colds, clear up acne,...
What a great girl! Way to go mama! You are doing a whole lot of right!   My heart aches for stories like this one. I see so much bullying -- yes, even in our "nice" homeschooling community. Being a speaker of truth and a leader is a gift. I'm happy for your girl.   I wonder about the boy and about his parents. It strikes me that he needs to find his tribe or at least one buddy. My intellectual children have found "their people" through drama troupes and through clubs...