or Connect

Posts by terra-pip

I don't get why people don't do Santa. We don't go and visit Santa's and my kids know the ones they may see are people dressed up as and pretending. They know Santa isn't real REAL...but we have made it so that Santa is real inside us. We write letters and there's no presents under the tree until Christmas morning and we put out cookies and listen for sleigh bells (and no Daddy does not shake bells at night) It's a magical time...we also talk about a load of other...
Yeah that. They're just toys. I'm pretty picky about toys myself for various reasons. I have older boys and I've kept them away from the violent "ugly" scary Bioncle and fighting monster superhero this and that...but they still somehow know who Spiderman is after a neighbor gave my oldest a Spiderman pillow....sure enough they played "fight and dead" with it, never having ever seen a Spiderman movie etc. I have a 5 month old dd so I have been thinking about Barbie. I...
I hesitate to put my ds on Zoloft---we've had it suggested to us that it may help with several issues. Could you tell me--PM me if you like---the experience you have had with Zoloft? My ds ( nearly 8) has potty issues, eating issues, and some anxiety that really catches him up in several ADLs and social issues that I see-saw back and forth with trying it. My dh is worried that it would make him "zombie-like" or would potentially cause more problems than it would be...
 So true!!! I've always wondered why that is!! But it's an ongoing battle to allow them to have it a little but to set limits....it seems endless. I recommend reading any of Jane Healy's books to get more insight on the computer/tv/video game issue. I've always wondered why these things seem to affect our kids on the spectrum more??!!
I have a 7yo son on the spectrum who is a very picky eater. And my 3yo son loves to eat but not always what we would like him to eat. Think Popsicles for breakfast. lol.   What has helped is if I have three choices for meals. And they can eat anything else they want whenever for snacks. It helps cut down on being a short order cook around here. With three kids I get tired of being in the kitchen.    My oldest son who is on the spectrum gets different treatment...
I have a 3 year old and a 7 year old and a 4 month old---I just want to say I'm right there with you. My dd (the baby) likes to sleep in my arms or when I am right there with her. I worry about my sons getting attention---especially since we homeschool etc.   What has helped me is to sit and do some work with my older son when baby is nursing and sleeping on me or to sit and read to my 3 yo when she's nursing/sleeping. Sometimes I can persuade my boys to lay down...
A dx can make it more "real" for you--a good thing and a bad thing. We knew that there was something different about our son close to his third birthday. We actually had our pede at that time dismiss us that "all kids are picky eaters at this age".   Finally getting dx gave the issues a name and then a way to learn about it and fix what could be fixed and live with what couldn't. We knew of course but it wasn't until we got the dx for our son that we both just cried...
My ds is nearly 8 and he was dry at night at 3 and had a lot of trouble potty learning---it eventually clicked at 4. He still has a pull up to BM though. He has muscle tone issues and OCD issues around the toilet in this area---it's his preferred place to stim and we have had a LOT of trouble getting him out of those pullups for BM. He has "retained" for over 2 weeks before when we have taken them away---   If anyone has any help for us in that direction it would be...
I'm asking if any here have used or are using the Explode The Code books. We have just started using them by way of getting one from a friend and my son really likes it (Book 4) but I don't have the Teachers Book and I notice that there are two post tests in the back that say "teacher directed" with directions to look in the teachers book.   I'm wondering if any here with the teacher book would feel like telling me what the directions for these two pages might be. My...
I have wondered the same thing about my kids. My two boys 7 and 3 just seem insane in public and at other peoples houses---sometimes at home too. Not always but a good part of the time. I am trying to be a good mom in the attatchment/consensual living sort of realm, and yet I see other families living the same way with kids who listen to their parents and then I see kids who I know live in a more mainstream home/discipline style (spanking, daycare, shuttled to...