or Connect

Posts by springmum

good idea - I need to read the inserts again. Thanks for the reminder.
Thank you for your responses, it's many of the thoughts and questions I run through my mind daily. I've been reading every piece of literature I can since before he was born and I was comfortable with a selective and delayed course until all of this happened (both pro-vaccine and not)  Of course, the communication between the Ped and myself has been ongoing.   Our next step is allergy testing for sure. We've had comprehensive stool analysis done and his gut is pretty...
I've been delaying vaccines after my almost 6 year old had a bad reaction to his 2 month (5 in 1) shots. "prolonged excessive screaming" I think is what the package classified it as (it was over 2 hours of unrecognizable screaming that I couldn't stop) I did a lot of work health wise with him, because he quickly developed digestive issues and eczema after, and now is doing really well. The one exception is that he gets hives with every.single.illness he gets - mild or...
Thank you, I should have also clarified this reason to the OP when saying that just b/c she had all her vax's doesn't mean she's protected. Measles vax has pretty high efficacy %'s, but when you possibly have direct contact and have unvaxed kids and are visiting a health care setting, getting titres done is a great idea to know for sure before worrying.
This is not scientific in nature, but was being explored during this particular outbreak when fully vaccinated (on schedule) kids were getting the measles. http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2011/10/20/measles-quebec-vaccine-schedule.html    This is a very long article (from pubmed) that I have not read fully, but seems to address waning immunity and the measles specifically.  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19324753 (like to article directly...
I think the last paragraph in the article gives good advice. Let the hospital know that you've potentially been exposed to measles and have visited on whatever dates/times. They may want to isolate your husband or put restrictions on (gown & gloves etc)   Just b/c you had all your vax's as a kid doesn't mean you're protected. Some people have their immunity wane over time (I know I'm no longer immune to rubella for example even though I was fully vaxxed as a...
Silly -you have a big boy! Ithought  this little guy was big, but you must have some serious muscles carrying him around!  I got nominated too, but can't do it b/c I'm in Canada - boo! You're making 3 kids sound really fun, good to hear everything is going well!   Vegan - Sounds like things are going well too :) Sorry your being woken all night too. I can't sleep when DS is nursing either, but his nursing schedule is all over the place - sometimes a lot,...
Yes- I'm doing the best I can to teach proper wound care, even at this young age, but there are already many scrapes and cuts that I only notice at bath time etc. (not all from the farm, just regular active day stuff)   I wonder if tetanus is as common in cities - I do have a preconceived notion that the farm harbours more tetanus than dirt in any playgrounds here, not based on any facts of course.   The nurses were not terribly helpful. They advised that Adacel could be...
That was just in Ontario (one province) I know Quebec (another province next to ours) had an "outbreak" last year or the year before, with higher numbers. At the time though they were questioning why fully vaxed kids were getting the measles http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2011/10/20/measles-quebec-vaccine-schedule.html I'm not familiar with the UK schedule, is MMR not part of it? Are vaccination rates very low over there for MMR? I always assumed that the UK had a...
I always refer to our Ontario monthly reortable diseases report. It goes monthly for the year and compares that last 2 years' totals.   http://www.oahpp.ca/resources/documents/2012_12_PHO_Monthly_Report.pdf   We had 3 cases of measles in 2012 (up to Nov) 8, & 9 total in 2011, 2010.    Just posting that link for anyone else looking for up to date current stat's of VPD's (and non-VPD's) in our province.