or Connect

Posts by Shann

I am very happy to see that this thread shows that the VAST majority of parents in here don't mind having dirty kids...and in most cases, just like my kids, VERY D-I-R-T-Y kids! I have always enjoyed letting my kids get dirty and stay dirty for a long while, and this thread has redeemed my faith in that! Thanks, all you mommas of dirty kids! Keep up the dirty work!
Any problem with just letting your boys' hair be LONG ? It's actually very adorable and I don't see a need to cut their hair.
When my boys were younger, I never saw the extreme importance of bathing them every day. So they often went 2, 3,4 days without a bath, and we didn't worry how dirty they OR their clothes got. They got baths eventually and were none the worse for wear. Now that they are older, they are allowed to choose their own schedule for bathing, and they also don't necessarily see a need for the daily routine. But that's up to them now, and I still don't worry about it .
I have always had better things to do than worry about whether my kids were perfectly 100 % clean and bathed all the time. My boys (now ages 10 and 8) usually got one bath per week, sometimes two, during the summer (more often during the school year) and they did just fine...never any lice and never any lack of friends. Now we pretty much let them decide on their own "cleansing schedule," and we don't push the issue unless they get really bad. They are usually pretty...
I will openly admit that my kids have, on several occasions in their lives, been those kids with "2 or 3 or 4 days of dirt on them," as babydoll mentions. And you know what? I'm not ashamed of it ! And know something else? My kids are great kids and have never wanted for friends and playmates, even on their dirtiest days ! From what I have seen, the clean and neat kids have always been in the minority...there are FAR more dirty kids that I have seen over the years...
My boys LIVED dirty in the summer, and in fact still do (they are 10 and 8 now). To be honest, I wanted them to get out and get dirty, cause to me that showed they were enjoying the outdoors. Plus, I just think dirty little kids are CUTE ! LOL ! And when we needed to go to the grocery store, post office, park, dept. store, etc., etc., they never got cleaned up beforehand. I would take them in all their barefoot, shirtless, grimy, sweaty, dirt and popsickle...
My boys dress in whatever they want to dress in. I dont dictate what they wear at all. They usually choose old jeans with holes (which they HATE to wear clean), old sneakers (untied), no socks (they dont even own any socks), the first t-shirt they come to, they both have long hiar which they rarely brush, they have multiple ear piercings and want nose rings. I just dont see the big deal in having kids always be "perfect" in the way they look or dress.
In our household, it is easy to celebrate christmas without the religious aspect. We are strongly Wiccan and the easiest thing for us to do is just snip all refernces to the jesus character out of it. It works fine as long as you don't have anything to do with jesus in the process. It is really easy for us anyway, since we have cut all reference to jesus in any way, shape or form from our household and lives at all other times as well. For us, it's just SNIP ! SNIP ! ...
When I started this thread, I would never have thought that it would have gone from a simple question about barefoot kids to a thread about swimming ! WOW ! Good thing I didn't ask anything complicated !
Our family is about as Wiccan as you will find, so we do the whole Yule and Samhain thing too. I guess you could say that we celebrate both "christmas" (I refuse to even capitalize the word, though) and Easter, but only from a Pagan standpoint. It is easy to do that and still have a great celebration...we just cut out any and all referneces to the "jesus" character, which is an easy thing for us to do, because that character has been snipped out of our family for quite...