or Connect

Posts by Suzetta

I would definitely get rid of the nap, with the understanding that you'll have to make your night time routine much earlier. It may be hard for a few days, but soon your dc will get used to it. Also, have you been taking him outside to play? We have noticed a definite correlation with our children...when they play outside for a while (even in the cold weather), they sleep much better at night, often falling asleep right away.
I wouldn't look at it in terms of 'disciplining' a child that young. Redirection, gentle guiding, and teaching him appropriate behaviors all seem to be a more positive spin. Rather than telling "dont hit kitty", take his hand and guide him to pet kitty nicely. I save "NO" for the more severe stuff.
My thoughts are that a securely attached child has the ability to explore his/her own world, knowing that the adult is theire if needed. I agree with the PP that what you are facing is a discipline problem. My oldest dd has gone through stages of behaving this way. If I am totally focused on her, she could take me or leave me...but put something else in the room to take my attention, and watch out! I have helped her deal with some of this by explicitly telling her what...
Also, I would like to add that Aletha Solther's books have a great insight on this topic. In her opinion, what you are seeing is a natural release of all the pent up feelings that have been accumulating throughout the day. While in the company of 'strangers', she may not feel comfortable to let them out...but when she sees you, she feels safe to let it all out. I went through something like this awhile back. I had went through a miscarriage, but didn't share it...
How is her demeanor on the weekends? It sounds to me like she is very tired and over stimulated. I have a friend whose dd has been in a daycare since just a few weeks old. They have an extremely structured routine. I babysat this child last weekend, and she was constantly ready for the next activity, once we finished one. I literally had to tell her it was 'time to rest'. My dd has been SAH since birth. Now she is having her first experience in a structured...
Quote: She's just SO strong willed and bright I think these are great qualities in a child, and would try my best to allow her to be this person...without trying to redirect or change her. I know this may sound crazy, but really I have found that a large portion of the behaviors we try so hard to change will be grown out of soon enough. "Unconditional Parenting" is a great book to read. It really revolutionized how I think about 'discipline' and...
I am not sure where to put this or title it, but I'll try here. Here is the situation. My dd is very spirited, active, inquisitive and tactile. She is a great kid, but she is also sometimes difficult to manage. She really gets into what she is doing, and sometimes it is hard to pull her out. Anyway, as she gets older, I have found ways to deal with her that really pull out her positive traits. She is in her third week at preschool, and even though the teachers...
Since the parent handled it appropriately, I would just comfort my child and move on. Some day, your child will be bigger, and will most likely experiment with this behavior. I often think it is more difficult to be the parent of the child who is doing wrong...you know that your child's behavior reflect on you, and it makes you very uncomfortable, because you really don't condone the behavior. Do I make any sense?
Does she put other things on his plate? I make a meal that is for everyone, but has plenty of choices. If I made eggs, I would also have toast, jelly, cottage cheese, regular cheese, maybe some ham slices, milk, grapes or other fresh fruit. If I am serving something like scrambled eggs, that I know dd is sometimes fickle about, I'll offer some other form of protein that she likes. I discuss the food groups, and my 3 yo will look at her plate and tell me that there...
Dr. Sears Discipline book may be a great thing for her to read. He offers a wonderful view on some of the pro-spanking stances. He also admits to having spanked himself, but now knows that there are better ways.