or Connect

Posts by beingmommy

I started using the Ergo when my son was about 5 months old and I still use it everyday (he's almost 21 months). I am just under 5'2" and I LOVE it. I had a Mei Tai too which was great but when the weather got rainy I found the straps would trail in the mud whenever I had to adjust it. I like that the Ergo can be set to fit perfectly and that's it. I still currently nurse my son in it and wear him down in it for all naps and bedtime.
My DS is almost 21 months old and he has never slept more than 3 hours at a time since he was 4 months old. Prior to that he had gone for 6 hours but at 4 months he started more frequent waking. He still generally wakes every 1-2 hours to nurse all night, occasionally going for 3 hours. I cannot imagine what it would feel like to get 5 hours of sleep! When he naps he usually stirs and has to be nursed back down after an hour and then again after 30 minutes. Then he...
Night Bfing does not cause cavities by itself. If there are food particles left on the teeth then it might. But as long as the teeth are brushed well before bed, the breastmilk should not cause any decay. You can wipe his teeth or pop a little xylitol gel in his mouth after each night nursing session if you want, though. It could only help. My DS (20 months) has had issues with his top two center teeth from the start. It has nothing to do with what we did or did...
I use the third person a lot but try to throw in the first person now and then too (I'll say, "Hitting hurts Momma. It hurts me."). I think I use "Momma" instead of "Me" mostly because I spend nearly all day (and night) with my DS (My DH works and I am a SAHM). If I didn't call myself "Momma" he would not hear it very often. I guess I wonder if he would learn that I was "Momma". He knows "Dad" very well because we'll talk about Dad all day.
I think it does depend on the child. My DS is 20 months old and I almost never have to offer. He signs for milk at least once an hour if not more. I do offer, as a PP said, if he seems to be distracted or out of sorts. But he has always been a frequent nurser and has been asking himself for months and months.
My DS is 19.5 months old and is fairly spirited. He's sweet and smart and funny and frequently dissatisfied. Super dissatisfied. There are times when for hours I can do nothing right for him. He wants his markers. No he wants me to help him put them away. NO! You put them away! I want them! No! Put them Away!!! And on and on. Each bit punctuated by a huge dramatic heaving of himself on the floor and a kicking of his feet. He is not verbal yet but he does sign...
Thanks for the replies! Good advice and glad to see others have had similar issues/thoughts. I did bring my own dinner to that gathering and I was really glad. One of my other friends also likes to bake bread and she recently baked me a loaf of gluten-free bread. It was so sweet of her but all I could think was, "Did she cut it on a glutened cutting board?" It's so hard!
We found out my 19 month old DS has gluten intolerance (possibly Celiac) a few months ago. Since he is breastfeeding I have also gone gluten-free (and, also, since he may have Celiac, I may also have Celiac - I tested positive for sensitivity). SO, my current mommy friends are all very supportive and wonderful BUT I don't think they all quite understand how careful I need to be about cross-contamination and hidden gluten. Sometimes when we all get together they'll...
My DS is 19 months and has maybe 4 words and two of them are not real words, just words he uses. He is heavily into signing right now (has over 50 signs he uses regularly) so he is communicating just fine with us. Our doc is completely unconcerned.
Before my DS was born (June 2007) I had imagined we'd start planning for baby #2 after about a year or so. But we are waiting waiting waiting (even though I would love for him to have a sibling) Reasons? 1) DS is still not big on solids so I want to make sure he has plenty of breastmilk as long as he needs it. 2) He is TERRIBLE sleeper and I am hugely sleep deprived. Even the idea of pregnancy at this point seems ridiculous. 3) He is also quite spirited and I...