or Connect

Posts by chipper26

The article is written with a slant against the "extremes" of attachment parenting, in my opinion.  It seems like it is written from a smug point of view.  Yes, she gives info from the attachment parenting side, but then adds information that, in my opinion, is only part of the story, about co-sleeping and cry-it-out.  To be fair, she should have interviewed several attachment parenting families to ask why we chose our particular path and what influenced our decisions....
What kind of consequences can I used for my dd who will be 3 in a few weeks when she is completely defiant?  I know that she's younger, but she's getting old enough to understand what is allowed.  She role plays with her dolls about what they shouldn't be doing and puts them in time-out.   I've starting doing more time-outs lately, maybe one every other day, as far as frequency goes, only if she is really out of hand,   Here's an example.  Today she was blowing...
My dd is 2 1/ 2 and getting tubes in her ears.  I'm not looking forward to tonight and tomorrow morning.  I can't nurse her or give her anything from midnight on.  She's been sick this weekend and hopefully they can still go through with this tomorrow morning.  I hope it isn't a traumatic experience for her tomorrow.   I just want her to feel better.  She's had 6 infections in 6 months.  It is out of control.  Has anyone had a good experience with this that turned...
Thanks for the replies.  I haven't been going to this doc long enough to say he is giving me excellent care.  He seems very knowledgeable, but missing an emotional link that I need.  I just feel like I need someone who understands what it is like to be a mom.  I can't  change my schedule until the end of the school year, when I can hopefully transfer to a school that is closer to home.  I have an hour and 10 minute commute.   I just don't know if I can get past this...
I started going to this new doctor  (psychiatrist) to manage my meds for anxiety/ADD issues and for a little help dealing with all the stress of going back to work full-time after being a SAHM to my 2 year-old.  He wanted to put me on stimulants for ADD and I told him I couldn't b/c I was still nursing.  He went into this big explanation of how I'm making it harder for my daughter to separate and how one of the biggest childhood issues is learning to separate from the...
I'm in a similar boat.  My dd just turned 2 1/2 and she loves her "nummy".  She can sit with me for an hour at a time and just nurse.  She is also up several time a night and I sleep with her.  I've only read some of the posts, so please forgive me if I've missed something or sound a bit out of the loop.   I am somewhat ambivalent when it comes to weaning.  There is a big part of me that just wants to be done, but there is the other part of me that  1) doesn't want...
Thank you for all of the thoughtful responses.  Lots to think about and try.  My dd is very challenging and constantly keeps me on my toes.  I am working on more patience and looking for ways to best cope with her willful ways.   I just think that understanding more about what makes her tick can help me be more empathetic.  My goal is to read "Becoming hte parent you want to be" over my long holiday break.  I also want to access some of the websites I've seen listed in...
I found your post so interesting and I really need to think more about this as it applies to my dd.  I've always considered myself an underachiever, especially after being told countless times about how "smart" I was, but yet not achieving or performing at the level I thought was appropriate.  I spent so much of my life questioning my true intelligence and the label I was given so early in life because everything didn't come as easily to me as I expected.  I thought that...
subbing too... good resources.
I know my dd is very bright but I'm not willing to say she is incredibly gifted at this point.  It's just early.  She is 2 and will be 2 1/2 at the beginning of Jan.  Her verbal skills are advanced and her daycare teachers seemed pretty surprised by her ability to communicate.  I guess she is way ahead of the other kids and even helping them a little with things like colors and numbers.   She has a very active imagination and has a pretty long attention span as far...