or Connect

Posts by bluedaisy

Thank you so much for your reply!  I was able to rest and nurse a lot on that side and the pain/tenderness went away in a day.  Thanks again :)
I am currently tandem nursing my 3 1/2 year old (at night and morning only) and my 6 month old.  This morning I woke up feeling some pain in my right breast which I thought was engorgement (my 6 month old, who nurses several times at night, sleeps on the other side of me so it's not uncommon for me to wake up with the right side a little engorged.)  However, the pain has remained all day.  It is only on the outside of my breast (from just outside the nipple over to the...
Thanks sbgrace, I appreciate it!   There is a good clinic by our house so all the conventional medicine will be available - deworming, antibiotics, malaria meds, etc.  I'm not sure how many natural supplements are available which is why I want to get those here.   We decided not to vaccinate for measles or whooping cough because we feel that the risks of the vaccine for our children is higher than the risk of those diseases (we have a family history of vax...
I have a 3.5yo dd and 4 month old DS - we are moving to Kampala, Uganda.  What supplements are most important for building their immune systems, and also for healing in case of sickness?   The most common illnesses in expats are diarrhea diseases - measles and pertussis are also a risk.   I'm thinking probiotics for everyday use, and then Vit C (sodium ascorbate) and Vit A in case of illness.  Anything else that would be useful?
3.5 yo DD has had numerous sleep issues - these days she often wakes in teh middle of the night and tosses and turns for an hour or two and has a hard time settling back into sleep.   I recently read magnesium deficiency can cause sleeplessness - has anyone had any experience with supplementing with magnesium or adding more magnesium rich foods to help their children with sleep?
We're moving to Uganda and trying to decide which vaxes to get...does anyone know anything about the injectible typhoid vax?  My sister in law, who is from Kenya and lives there now - doesn't vax her 3 year old son adn said there are tests for typhoid and it's treatable, she didn't think I should get them.   From what I've read, the vax is only like 55% effective.  DD is 3.5 and DS is 4 months, so the vax would only be for DD and possibly DH and myself.  I had the...
Just want to offer some hugs - I have a 4 month old DS and a 3 1/2 year old DD - I also had no idea it would be this hard.  My DD broke out in hives from stress during my 37 hour labor, threw up the first morning we were home with the baby, and would wake up all the time in the middle of hte night (i sleep ith both of them).  It was so hard for me to see it being so hard on her, and we had had such a great relationship that it made me sad to see how much it was...
Thanks Linda, I agree some of it is a communication problem - I do sometimes feel like he doesnt really understand where I am coming from.   Being a SAHM for me hasn't been a realistic choice at this point - we got a surprise pregnancy months before DH was supposed to start grad school, and I was able to find a very flexible job that provided housing, utilities, internet, and food.  We have been financially strained and DH has also made some significant sacrifices...
My DH is from a culture where most moms with small children have a live in nanny/cook/maid who is very inexpensive so the mom can work.   I have always wanted to be a SAHM, and have always been up front with him about.  He just doesn't understand - he doesn't understand why I would want to SAH and why it would be important for our kids to be with a parent.   It's hard for me that he doesn't get it because it's somethng that is so important to me.  I have a...
thanks for your replies everyone....we are moving to Kampala, Uganda and these are the VPDs that they see occasionally there (I've been emailing a doctor there), so I'm reconsidering whether the increased risk of getting any of these illnesses would convince me to get one of the vaxes.  I was confident in not vaxing but then I posted another thread on this board and got attacked for bringing my unvaxed kids to Uganda so it made me reconsider.  I think the Polio is the...