or Connect

Posts by thoesly

The way we handled it was to make certain there were options available. We got our oldest (now 7) a bed when he was about 2, and he started experimenting -- most nights in our room, but a night in his own bed every now and then. By the time he was 4, he had moved to his own bed full-time. With my daughter (now 5), we got a toddler bed for our room when she was 2, and then a regular bed in her room when she was 3. She has spent the past year cuddling in our bed until...
I have been asked in both the urgent care center and when my children have gone in for tests. No one has ever argued or even questioned it. They simply make a note on the chart and move on. I wouldn't be comfortable with lying. I can't imagine a situation in which that information would be important, but I also can't imagine a lot of things. Also, I would worry that if anyone found out about the lie, that would make them question other aspects of my parenting which...
Quote: Originally Posted by lizc By the way, this whole thread will probably get pulled or locked. And maybe that's not a bad thing. This place has been my safe haven since December 2003 when I had to come to terms with the fact that not 1 or even 2, but all 3 of my kids had special needs, including places on the autism spectrum. There have been times when I've given myself a timeout from posting because I was in a bad place and didn't have...
Quote: Originally Posted by jackson's mama lckrause, I believe 4imprints's post speaks exactly to yours (and Britishmum's post too, as I see it now after posting). Your son not being able to handle a birhday party is not an issue related to his being GIFTED, it's related to SENSORY ISSUES - and many mamas on the special needs parenting board can relate to that... so why post about it only on the gifted thread? Quote: Originally...
Quote: Originally Posted by 4imprints So you still insist that shoving "gifted" in our faces every single day is appropriate and we shouldn't be offended or hurt. I think I missed a step. Is this directed at someone in particular. I'm sorry you're going through a hard time right now. I've been there many times -- as I said, all 3 of my kids have special needs. But I've never found it useful to look for offense where none is intended, and in...
Quote: Originally Posted by bri276 Many of the special needs moms who are dealing with delays are ALSO dealing with some pretty heavy medical issues- sometimes it's medical problems, even life threatening ones, which are causing the delays in the first place. A child who is "simply" gifted is healthy. You may not be able to use normal schools. You very well may stay up at night, worrying that you are doing the best you can, and about the future. But...
Quote: Originally Posted by Britishmum I cannot leave the house sometimes because of my child's special needs (aka giftedness). I cannot sign her up in classes. I struggle with the comments of strangers, like a 10 yo at the pool last week "What's wrong with your kid?" I rarely sleep at night for worrying about my child's future. I am in constant battles with the school, and she hasnt even been there for one day yet. I go for OT appointments. I consult...
Before the gifted threads were started, the mamas involved asked us permission to post here. Those of us who were here at the time had been following some of their struggles on the main boards and had no problem with it. If the population here has changed significantly enough that people now *do* have a problem with it, then that needs to be addressed. But it's not fair to accuse them of "invading" our territory. Yes, there are days when I blink when I come here...
We had a love-hate relationship with the TV for a long time. Loved it because it seemed to be an effective way for my child to learn things like social interactions and expressions -- he just didn't seem to get it when real people worked with him. Hated it because it did increase the echolalia and such, but this also seemed a part of his process for internalizing lessons, so we let it go unless he was approaching the obsessive level. It's been interesting for us to...
Quote: Originally Posted by SoVeryCherry Has anyone been able to get a decent sandwich bred GFCF? The only luck I've had with this is recipes from The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread (every recipe I've tried from this book has been pretty good, actually). All others (mixes, recipes, storebought) were flops. Toasting does help. When I don't feel like messing with mixing up a batch, we use pancakes, waffles, gf crackers in place of...