or Connect

Posts by SilverWillow

Quote: Originally Posted by Cinder I've bought a blanket and taken my screaming baby outside in the rain before. . I wouldn't have the money for an unexpected expense like that. If I'd just abruptly changed the scenery like that, my daughter would probably have had one of her turning blue/seizure episodes (no, not on purpose. rough transitions were a trigger. also: water in her face, rain=bad. so now what she I have done, with no food in...
Quote: Originally Posted by Chicky2 Of course I acknowledge that sometimes there are situations where you have to be there. I'm not a rude or horrible person. I guess this is one of those 'you'd have to have been there' situations. I was not posting about a situation such as you mentioned. The parents were very well-dressed, the wife dripping w/gold and diamonds, very expensive bag/shoes, the man also dressed to a t (and no I'm not saying that they...
facts from the Born Free site: "In opposing use of traps, we are in good company. A 1978 national survey conducted for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service by Yale University showed that 78% of respondents opposed the use of steel-jawed leghold traps. A 1996 poll by the Animal Welfare Institute had similar results, with 74% of Americans opposed to leghold traps. The American Veterinarian Association, the American Animal Hospital Association, the World Veterinary...
Quote: Originally Posted by Chicky2 Yes to both of these. I also get horrible headaches from loud screaming/flashing lights/all kinds of things. I also have had a VERY high-needs child, and a child w/Aspergers. Not like I don't understand high needs kids or how hard it is to deal with, AND the looks that one can get because of it. I also get prolonged visual migraine auras that prevent me from driving (happened too many times while driving and...
I know this thread is old. Just wanted to everyone else who has had to witness these. My DD is eight and has long outgrown her episodes (they were so severe that her epileptologist at Children's in Chicago had only "heard" of ones so bad), but I'm thinking about it a lot today. My life during those years just feels like a horrible blur now.
Quote: Originally Posted by lotusdebi I agreed with other posts in this thread, but picked this one to quote because of the anger behind it. I'm feeling that same anger. My oldest child has autism and sensory issues. I did not know that when he was an infant and a toddler. I was severely sleep-deprived (often to the point of psychosis) for the first few YEARS of his life because the child never slept. He cried, arched his back, was never comfortable,...
Quote: Originally Posted by Bug-a-Boo's Mama First, it would have to have been an emergency for me to take DS out at 8:30 to go grocery shopping. Okay so assuming we are in a parallel universe, if DH and I were out grocery shopping w/DS that late (for DS) I would have picked him up comforted him and then passed him to DH to have him walk around w/him. DS would not cry for an hour after being told no, but I also would have shopped as fast as possible...
Quote: Originally Posted by mistymama Last weekend we were at the lake with some friends and a little 3 year old there was such a handful. I'd guess he is probably somewhere on the spectrum and screamed, tantrumed, went non stop the whole day. I was exhausted watching his parents. At one point I talked with the Mom and told her how I understand, and my child was the very same way. She nearly cried, saying she felt like she was a bad Mom and she...
Quote: Originally Posted by mistymama Depends on the situation and now that ds is older it's not really an issue. But he has sensory issues and is an Aspie, so as a toddler he was prone to HUGE meltdowns. First, I learned to not worry about what people around me think - and while I would do my best to get out of there and not bother anyone, I wouldn't let myself feel the pressure of caring what other people think of me, my parenting or my child. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by cupcakeladybug We all know how freaking awesome gay/lesbian/bi/queer/transsexual/transgendered/and other diverse peoples are. If you don't, please do me a favor and open your mind to get to know them. They aren't that scary! I am so glad that I have friends that are diverse in many ways. They make my world even better just by knowing them thank you for this! : My daughter is 8. I loved reading your...