or Connect

Posts by ilovemygirl

We really liked the Anna Hibiscus series. It is sad that it's the only one I can think of right now.      http://www.amazon.com/Anna-Hibiscus-Atinuke/dp/1935279734/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1368107274&sr=1-1&keywords=anna+hibiscus
My twins are due in less than two weeks. I'm really concerned, actually terrified- about how I will handle those first few weeks. Mostly because I will have no help other than DH for a week and will also be recovering from a C-section. Both babies are still breech despite an exhaustive effort to get them to flip. So I'd love to hear from any twin moms on how to make those first couple of weeks work out as smoothly as possible.    Thanks!
I may be biased because my dd is hyper-sensitive to suffering and death and violence of any kind. It's been exhausting trying to find books for her. Her ability to handle any type of intense content is probably below her age but she's reading so many levels above her age.  In general, I don't think the details of dying a horrible death are really appropriate for a four year old. We do go to museums (never anything specifically Titanic related though) but we try to move...
Is it unreasonable to expect children to behave "well" at paid activities and classes? I'm having such a hard time finding suitable activities for dd. To be clear, I'm talking about activities where at the very least you need to be able to hear and follow directions - like art, yoga, science projects, etc. and that are for elementary age kids without their parents.   We've tried several different places and the same issue comes up. There's always at least one kid...
I haven't read the replies so I apologize if I'm repeating. I am exactly that parent who says that she expects certain things and doesn't give choices. I will admit that I seem to be blessed with a child who was born with a fairly calm and agreeable personality. I'm no expert but this is what I do/did ...    I never ever bribe. DD does things because she wants to, she has been taught it's the right thing to do, or has been taught it's something that just needs to...
Our favorites are card games like Rat-a-tat-Cat and Uno and Apples to Apples. Also some classic games like Trouble, Connect Four, Sorry, etc. 
I'm trying to change my birth plan from a natural birth to my now planned C-section and I can't get through it. I can't stop crying. I'm 36 weeks pregnant with twins. They have been breech the entire pregnancy. I've tried everything to get them to turn but it's just not happening. I had such a wonderful birth with my first. Even when I found out it was twins it never even occurred to me that I would have to have surgery. There are no practitioners in my area willing to...
    I couldn't agree with this more! I hear it all the time. DD and I have a wonderful time together but we aren't always on top of each other when we are home. Right now, I'm on the computer and she's reading a magazine. Later we will cook and eat lunch together but then she'll settle in to some homeschool work and I'll be able to do some chores or relax or whatever. I have to agree with so many pp's that it really really does get so much easier as the kids get older. My...
Thanks again for the reply. I've thought about starting our own class but I worry it wouldn't be worth it. I ran a playgroup when dd was younger. It was a nightmare as far as planning and trying to get anyone to commit to even showing up ... and that was completely free! It was a lot of stress and to be honest with my twins due soon I doubt I'll have the time/energy to coordinate something like that.  I guess I just need to get over it. I was just wondering what other...
Yes. We do our regular homeschooling through the summer. I live in the Northeast and my whole family hates the heat, aren't beach fans, etc. So, we take our break in the fall from October through December so we can be outside and traveling when it's time for the activities and weather we love and then just carry it through the holidays. It's such an awesome thing about homeschooling to be able to do things when they work for our family instead of when everyone else does...