or Connect

Posts by kai28

Definitely play the doctor card. At 18 months my sons pediatrician told us that public school was likely to be a very bumpy ride and I had better do a lot of research regarding schooling options, and that our public schools, as great as they are, have no idea what to do with a kid like him. It was shocking. The gifted programs are too far of a commute for everyday for us, so the doctors recommendation and the commute time are 2 reasons in my arsenal. Cost is another reason...
I'll second the call to read & recommend to family " Einstein never used flashcards" . Your DD is only 3. Here in MA, even kindergarten is optional. My DS is 2, so I'm just telling people that I don't have to make a decision for at least 4 more years. Until then, he gets to be a normal kid and PLAY. There is no progam for a 3 year old that can beat simply playing. That being said, play hard :-) at 3, I'm not sure it does any good to declare yourself a homeschooler - it's...
DS (2) is a 1. yes, yes, I realize that at 26 months its too early to consider him gifted, but he's way ahead of himself "academically" (vocab, number recognition & counting, letters, learning to read, accurately explaining mechanical & body processes, cooperative play, knows the planets of our solar system in & out of order, can read weather maps and tell us if it'll rain, knows map vs. globe, etc). He's always been ahead of the developmental charts - to the point where...
DS is 23m (almost). He loves the library- he's started calling it the "book museum" & asks to go everyday. He makes a mental list of books he wants; yesterday it was "a planet earth book, a rocket book and a space shuttle book." these are NOT things we can easily find even for slightly older kids, so we are pretty much stuck with stuff for much older kids. He likes the eyewitness books: lots of pictures, lots of description, no story line. It's like reading an...
I'm reading this with interest. My ds is 22 months and I know that freak out. I don't know if he'll be reading that well by 2.5 (can't see into the future), but he's certainly advanced. Shapes, colors, numbers, vocab, alphabet & sounds, some sight words. We can't spell certain words out near him anymore (toothbrush & ice cream come to mind) - he freaks out & wants in on it. At 18 months he started drawing airplanes that looked liked airplanes. His helicopters and space...
Thanks for the help & replies. It doesn't help that I am by nature sarcastic and defense. Time for me to grow some more. Or at least learn to pretend to calm and not affronted. I have noticed several things in discussing this here & IRL with people I know: my "white" friends/people/comments think I out of line for being bothered by this. DH (asian) was pissed at the guy when I told him about it. The people who have mixed asian families or are mixed themselves seem to...
I dunno. He seemed like a perfectly capable adult, probably in his 60s. Could carry on a conversation just fine. Had a car in the parking lot, etc. Lacking social awareness? Likely. Apparently. We live in a pretty homogenous area. Mostly white. Kind of rural, ex-burb. DS is already not really fitting with his "peer group" because he's kind of advanced. I fear that between that and not quite looking fully Asian or fully white he's going to be getting a lot of veiled "what...
How do you handle that? What responses do you have? I feel like I need some automated responses. "where did you get your eyes?" Is what we got yesterday. 3X from the same guy, asking my toddler directly. Obviously my son will need to have some auto-responses as well. I'm thinking "where did you get yours?"
I think you'll save money. one solution to the multiple covers issue are the one-size covers. adjustable like bumgenius, but they are only a cover. once nice thing about these is that you can adjust the fit pretty well, accommodating for thick legs, skinny legs, whatever  http://nickisdiapers.com/catalog.php?category=2236   Not shown at the link above, but I really like the "wonder wraps" - they are a nice material that is waterproof but breathes and doesn't feel...
It's totally possible to be asynchronous. From what limited reading I've done, it seems common. I'm interested in seeing how your DS develops. My DS will be 20months this week, so our kids are very close in age. He's only saying 4-5 word sentences, but he's got a 1,000+ word vocabulary. He's been doing shape sorters for a year now, the past 6 months without help. He likes to categorize things verbally and physically. He builds vehicles out of duplos that actually resemble...