or Connect

Posts by Aliyahsmommy

My 6 year old has been so overwhelming the last 6 months and I'm not sure what is appropriate discipline. When she does not get her way she cries and screams and even occasionally hits me. She cannot be "talked" out of it until she is calm and no amount of threatening punishments makes it stop.She seems out of control in a way....crying over every little thing. My husband and I both are just fed up. Example: She wants to stay at my sisters and I say no so she refuses to...
So my 1st grader is in a Montessori program. I found out yesterday that the teacher is doing some things I'm not okay with and would like ideas on how to approach the subject. I would also like specific info on Montessori to bring up showing this is not according to the method. First of all the class has 1st, 2nd, and 3rd graders in it. Everyday she writes the word TICKET on the chalkboard for each grade which is their recess ticket. If someone is talking during work...
I have a 3.5 year old son. Recently I find myself being the parent I didn't want to be that yells and even occasionally spanks. I rarely if ever did so with my oldest, but he pushes every button.Of course spanking makes me feel just horrible afterwards.; He is so very determined to annoy everyone in sight or just be plain mean for no reason. He will squeeze my 1 year old or trip her or shove her aside. He kicks and hits my 5 year old. He fights relentlessly with my...
At my daughter's Montessori preschool we also had little to no communication. Luckily at 3 & 4 my daughter would give me some tidbits about her day though I realize not all kids will. I was welcome to observe whenever I liked and occasionally peeked in if I was at the school for any reason. Luckily for me my cousin worked there and sent her kids so I felt very very comfortable with the school from the beginning. Also I had observed the class the year before to get a...
I have an almost 5 year old dd. I think it is completely reasonable for her to sit still while I brush her hair, help her put on her pajamas, and help her brush her teeth. She is definitely capable of accomplishing these tasks on her own, however seems to prefer help sometimes. In the mornings we are in less of a hurry usually so I then just hand her the clothes and walk away and in her own time she gets dressed. What makes it go smoother for us is that I put their...
We pay about $4,000 a year for Montessori. We use our tax money as it is not in our budget to pay monthly. We definitely could use that tax money for other things, but I have never regretted paying the tuition. We will switch to the public Montessori for 1st grade  because then my son will spend his first three years in the private Montessori just as my daughter is and we cannot afford to pay for both to be in private. At our public school the elementary years are less...
My first child slept through the night at 3 months old, she was also bottle fed formula, and she slept in her own room in a crib. She actually preferred the crib to co-sleeping though as we were co-sleeping previous to the crib and she seemed so unsettled and never seemed to be able to get comfortable. I am positive she was sleeping through the night and not waking as we had a baby monitor, kept the bedroom doors open, her crib was on the same wall as our bed, and I am a...
Honestly I would tell my 4 year old daughter that I do not like the way she is speaking to me. I would then give her a nicer way to say it and ask her to repeat it though not word for word or anything. If she refused to say it nicer than I would send her to her room and tell her she could come out after she decided to speak nicely to me. I never time it as there is no need, she actually seems to need the alone time and comes back out completely happy. 99% of the time...
I do think what GD means to one parent can vary with what it means to another parent based on the needs of their individual child. We found around age 2 that when my daughter was in tantrum mode she needed to be put in her room to calm down. With an audience the tantrum would escalate and last up to an hour. No amount of talking would ever calm her, only fire her up more. Ignoring also did not work. I would laugh at times because I did not know what else to do. With...
For us we have a pretty strict bedtime for our 4 year old and a less strict one for our cosleeping, breastfeeding 2 year old. My 4 year old gets notices that bedtime is coming soon from 8-8:15pm. Usually around 8:15pm we put on pajamas and then we read two books, one that each of our children picks. The 4 year old is in bed right around 8:30pm, the 2 year old needs me to lie with him so it is usually closer to 9:30pm before he is asleep. Our 4 year has always been more...