or Connect

Posts by LROM

OP you're a brave and amazing momma for taking action.  I am not suprised your daughter sees you as her hero... and I totally agree that this is just like you protecting her in a tornado or whatever was happening in that Walmart story you told.  Only difference is, a tornado/storm is very easy to perceive as a threat, and no one will judge you badly for yelling "STORM!" and trying to protect yoru daughter.  Child abuse is very different, as you've both experienced and...
OP my heart goes out to you.  When I read your subject line, but before I'd even read your post, I asked out loud "I wonder what her parents are modeling for her in the way of social behavior?"  When I read that you're an introvert as well, my first thought was "How awesome would it be if her dd could see her momma (and maybe dad as well?  Is he in a similar position?) grappling with her own introvertedness if it's been an issue for you?   I know that being an...
I agree with the above posts - there are probably ways for them to get assistance, and the ball needs to get rolling to explore them. Even though you're in school elsewhere, is it possible for you to do some internet research for them, call the human services agency in their state, describe the situation, and ask who you can talk to to explore their options?  Then talk with all 3 of your brothers, and if possible visit them and help them explore the options.  If you...
I always say something.  I start by assuming the child doing the scary behavior does not intend to hurt someone, even though it looks highly likely they will.  And I deal with them, not as a child who's trying to hurt, but as a child who doesn't see the likely consequence of what they're doing.   I usually start by directly addressing the child doing whatever "Honey, please don't do that.  You're coming close to hitting/landing/hurting other kids.  If you want to...
While it's true that developmentally it's not as simple at 3 to say something and expect them to just do it (is that really reasonable to expect at any age?? LOL!), when I read your post OP I wondered whether you ever have any consequences for your child when they act like that.   To me, watching your child not listen again and again and not experimenting with consequences... well there's no reason to think they're going to do differently unless parents try something...
That is really wonderful!  Congrats on holding onto your sanity through this and I hope your shoulder is better... :)
DD is 3 so don't know if that's why I'm different but I totally screen everything she gets and only put back in her stash a tiny fraction of what she received.  I do want her to self regulate (and she pretty much does), but some of the stuff she got is so nasty in ingredients, I'd rather take it out before she's really examined it and have her choosing between the less awful stuff (but no one gives out natural candy it seems, so it's all kinda icky to me for my...
OP that is wonderful wonderful news!!!  I hope this is the end of this whole situation for you.  Thanks fur updating us, definitely let us know when you get confirmation it's actually closed.
I don't think it depends on anything other than your comfort level with doing what to me is just basically fair: I have my kid help clean when we go to others' houses, and when her friends come over and they trash the place, as soon as either I or the other parent(s) start to wrap it up, I say "Ok, shall we just clean it all up or make it fun?  Let's see who can sing the funniest song while cleaning this mess... who can clean up everything blue..." etc.  Now, my kid is...
OP I think it's awesome that you are trying to be there for your brother.  While I agree with some PPs that you're in a stressful position in that he's not having (it sounds like) some of his emotional  basic needs met by your mom, but as his sister it shouldn't (and kinda can't) fall to you to supply them.   Having said that though, what I'm about to say probably sounds like turning you into all sorts of things you're not! :)  But this is the best advice I have:  I...