or Connect

Posts by LROM

So when's the end of the toddler phase?  My dd is 2.75 yrs old, but is very much like a 3+ year old in so many ways... what's the accepted definition of the end of the toddler phase?
Well you've already taken the exact step I was going to recommend - talking to your Ped about him (you've skipped the Ped and referred him to child psychiatry which, given his behaviors, is probably a good idea).   Even though we all know toddler behaviors do vary a lot, I think you are very wise to get him seen because that combination/extent of concerning behaviors does sound extreme.  And it's hard on all 3 of you who are home on a regular basis (you, your son,...
I actually agree with a PP's statement that you should write the woman a letter (email may be better, in case a written letter wouldn't definitely get into her hands).  In it, I would take a somewhat different approach than the PP said.   I would detail the abuse that your daughter suffered.  I would also be clear that no only did yoru stepson admit it (and put his exact reaction"Yeah, I did, so what?"), he never showed remorse.   I would then put a few links to...
To AllGirlHouse - So so sorry you are also going through what OP is.  Just wanted to day you're an awesome parent for acting as soon as you knew there was a problem.  As hard as all this is, and as slow as your kids' recovery may seem, it's still easier and less horrific than what you'd be going through if you'd been in denial or otherwise failed to act when you knew something was very wrong.   Hopefully the investigation will be thorough and dig up real evidence. ...
I can't speak as much to the possibility of hormonal shifts/emotional changes, because the car accident was such a major thing to process (physically, mentally and emotionally), I'm not sure I can distinguish what was car accident and what was cold turkey weaning.   I can definitely tell you that the most difficult thing (and this definitely had major impacts on my emotions) was how mad DD was at me, like for about 4 or 5 days straight every time of day that would...
Isn't it interesting?  Watching their minds develop and how they make sense of things is incredible.   We were walking a couple months ago at night and saw a very drunk or high young lady in heels totally fall over on the street.  People close to her rushed over to help her up, and as they did it was clear she was not in her right mind.  DD asked "What happen to her?" and I said "She isn't taking care of herself.  She doesn't feel good and probably shouldn't be...
This is such a great thread, I wish I'd had it to read a year ago when we were first nightweaning DD.  Just a few thoughts on specific posts here (I'm too lazy to figure out how to quote multiple posts, so bear with me please!)...   1. Tantrums: Just want to add hand to those who's kiddos had severe, heartbreakingly distressful reactions to weaning.  The first time we NW'd, she did pretty well, mainly regular crying and some flopping around in her crib, but for the...
Oh my gosh, your last question "how do you handle the heartbreaking cry of your child?" was what almost drove me back to un-weaning my child or abandoning the nightweaning process so many times... but let me tell you I'M SO GLAD WE DID IT!   My journey was pretty complicated, with nightweaning successfully once (it was hard but Dr. Jay's method worked, and we did it at the same time we transitioned her to her own crib in her own room after cosleeping her whole first 17...
If your ex has indeed been charged with family violence against his new girlfriend AND CPS case re: her kids, that is a GAME CHANGER.   In other words, whether there is a court order or not, you need to notify CPS and ask for advice re: how to protect your son.  Even though your son doesn't have specific allegations (by the way, when your son says "He's mean", do you ask him "how is he mean?  What does he do?  What don't you like?"?  Those are important questions...
  So what I'm still not getting is, is there anyone home when she's outside?  I agree that initially I wouldn't have thought to call CPS, but I'm wondering if her parents (or any adult) is home when she's outside, have you tried going over at the time she's doing some of these things (like instigating your child to be mean, passing food, or being bossy) and rung the bell and explained what was going on in a nice but serious way and that you'd like her to stop?   I'm all...