or Connect

Posts by maria423

Hi, everyone -   I'm looking for a recommendation for social skills groups (for a 10-year-old with social skill deficits) and/or a good psychologist for a 10-year-old.   She has no official diagnosis, though I have always suspected she's somewhere on the autism spectrum. She was diagnosed as having "sensory issues" by a developmental pediatrician when she was in kindy, had some OT (which helped), and was doing good in her school that recently closed. Now, in a much...
I would make sure there is an observation window. My dd is also very sensitive and takes a long time to warm up to new people and situations. She just turned 4 and has been in ballet for almost 9 months. Prior to her starting her class, she had been asking for classes for months and months, and we regularly visited a nearby ballet school just to watch the other dancers. The ballet class was the very first class/thing she ever did without me, and I was very worried...
With my ds we let him decide when he wanted to start eating solid food. From infancy he sat at the table with us while we ate (sometimes he nursed, sometimes we just held him). When he was about 7 months old or so, he started grabbing food from our plates and putting it into his mouth. We started making sure that, at all meals, we had something that he COULD eat (not choke on) if he wanted to (like carrots cooked really, really soft, for example, but not pureed). At...
It is totally normal to stop feeling let-down like you did in the past. My ds is now 2.5, and I don't feel let-down usually anymore (occasionally I feel a twinge here and there, but not the powerful feeling I had when he was small). I don't remember when it stopped for me, but I do know that it's normal.
Definitely invite everyone. Don't leave out a few children. The only reason I wouldn't invite those few kids is if your ds had specific problems with them. (For instance, if one of them regularly picked on him or something.) Don't say anything on the invite about gifts. Let people bring (or not bring) as they desire. I think it's tacky to specify what kind(s) of gifts are/are not acceptable. In fact, I personally think it's tacky to mention anything about...
I'm sitting here laughing about the hatching out of an egg stuff. My 2.5 year old ds is really fascinated with eggs and animals, especially dinosaurs, hatching out of them. The other day he kept covering himself with a blanket (his egg) and then pretending to hatch out of it. I had to sit there next to him and watch him do it over. And over. And over. And over. I'm sure you get the picture! So I know what you're going through! I'm lucky in that my younger child...
It sounds like you're already really busy! I personally (and this is just me) wouldn't add any more activities, but I would maybe replace one of the library story-times with a different activity. I mean, story times can be great, but at our particular library they aren't, and I can (and do) always read to the kids a lot at home. (Of course, if you have a fantastic story time and love going, then I'd continue doing that and not add any more activities.) As for...
I wanted to add that if ballet is something your daughter is serious about, if she keeps going and practicing, she can eventually start dancing on pointe, which is very exciting and challenging. It takes years to get strong enough, but it is something she can work towards. And if she's going to do it, you want her at a good school (that specializes in classical ballet) so that she doesn't get hurt.
A lot of the schools that specialize in competitive dance (at least the ones that *I've* seen, certainly not ALL of them) don't teach classical ballet well, so if that's something your children want to pursue, I'd encourage them to stay in their current school. The problem, of course, is that many schools that teach classical ballet well don't also teach the more modern forms of dance. I mean, they'll have "modern dance" and "jazz," but not the trendier (and usually...
Susan, I have the EXACT same problem. He stops for a month or two, then starts again. It is so difficult, frustrating, sad, etc. I feel horrible for the other child when he bites, as well as embarrassed. I also feel that my discipline (taking him away and talking to him about it) isn't sufficient, but I am totally against physical punishment of any kind. I just feel that what I'm doing isn't working or he'd stop biting, but I don't know what else to do. I think this...