or Connect

Posts by SpiderMum

Thank you! That really helped me feel much better about it!
We're unschooling in Virginia and every year we are required to take a standardized test OR submit a portfolio for review. As a kid I only ever did the portfolio review and have no experience with the testing....but for this year I feel like testing would be simpler and easier....plus it it's inexpensive and can be done at our leisure at home. So...DD is 5. This was her "Kindergarten" year. Anyone with experience with the CAT test? What was the Kindergarten level test...
I think it's pretty normal for kids to resist when they feel like someone is testing them or trying to push them to do something. Rather than focusing on getting THEM to read, try reading TO them. Get a fun fantasy series to read to them when you are together. They might really enjoy it! Also games. Lots and lots of games....also cooking. Make cookies the next time you are together. Just don't try to call attention to fractions when they're trying to measure out...
Nothing wrong with pulling a child mid-year. You could quit homeschooling mid-year too if you change your mind. No need to keep a child somewhere that isn't working just to avoid making a few waves. You'll probably find that nobody even cares anyway.
I think you need to have a frank discussion with your partner about this. If him requiring seat-work is making you miserable, don't just swallow your misery. This is Kindergarten! Does he remember Kindergarten? In the past, even IN schools, it didn't require a lot of sitting and working. Of course, I also tend to think that what he doesn't know, won't hurt him. Just tell him there was sitting involved. You can learn the same things wiggling around and dancing...but...
My daughter took a few classes through the rec center which were REALLY cheap....sadly there was only 1 boy in her class, but I'd totally send my son.
I never went to school...ever. I've been in a school building a few times to vote, but that's about it. Personally, I loved being homeschooled. I will forever be grateful to my parents for keeping me home and I am continuing that with my own kids. You're not ruining his life! Also, it's totally okay to take it one year at a time! I highly recommend finding a homeschool group near you. You'll get the support you need and he'll get to play with other homeschooled kids.
I'm a homeschool grad. I never went to school at all....and I can say from experience that homeschooling will not make you dumb. I'm a perfectly intelligent person and even though I don't feel like I'm super smart or anything (I'm pretty average), I grew up around a lot of brilliant and interesting homeschoolers. I think finding a support group with some other teens would be helpful. School seems to breed a lot of very tactless teenagers so some home ed kids would be a...
It's pretty subjective. There are strict school-at-home types who would consider what we do "bad homeschooling". We're unschoolers and don't really do anything formal....and I get that to someone who is trying to recreate a school environment at home it probably looks terrible. Meanwhile the whole sitting at a school desk doing work from 9 to 3 school-at-home thing looks pretty terrible to ME. People always have this fear of abuse and neglect in homeschooling....but...
Do you have any roller skating rinks around? That's usually fun for all ages. We have one locally that does a homeschool session during the day for $2. If you have a rink, but it doesn't do that you may want to ask if they'd consider opening for home ed families. If not for us they have no daytime business.