or Connect

Posts by cappuccinosmom

I never said Gothard was a CHristian, nor am I defending his beliefs, or that people don't take these teachings and go completely bonkers with them.   But some ATI teachings overlap with Christian teachings, as does the QF belief in some aspects.  And likewise there is a range of belief and practice among ATI families, and among QF families, and some are both, and some are not, and it's a little more complicated.  And I have not seen anything the Duggars have said...
I doubt they see it like that. There is some confusion about the "blessing" thing.  God's blessings are not "merit based" in the sense that most people take it to mean.  To say "I have been blessed" is not comparable to saying "God loves me more than you"  The QF philosophy is not rejecting God's blessings, as he chooses to give them.  But it's his plan, not our merit, that makes the family.   I have no idea whether the Duggars believe that they are merit based,...
The "even number" comment was made on the show (Today?) when they announced, and it was about as obviously a joke as could possibly be.   
No.  I am seeing families who do not interpret the teaching on joy (either Gothard's or generic Christianity's) to mean "experiencing unhappy feelings is a sin".  Starting at the same point (pursue joy, reject self-pity, look for the positive), they are going in a completely different direction than what you were subjected to.  Though my particular experience is a little different in how it played out (different cult), the same thing applies.  Many perfectly loving,...
I'm sad for them.   Because I don't believe that baby was "just a number" to them, and I am sure this loss is just as devastating to them as any of my losses were to me.  
Imacerka, I don't know them personally.  Just like everybody else here (afaik), in reference to them, I'm talking about what I have observed.  And since I have apparently observed different behavior than some others, that is where my disagreement comes in.  I just don't see "fake happy all the time" there.  It's kind of a wierd conundrum for them because often in the same places they're accused of having the fake-happy thing going on, they're also accused of having rude,...
I agree with you that Gothard is a false prophet, just so there's no confusion. :)   I believe it is bad parenting and unBiblical to punish children for experiencing emotions.  Or to punish them for expressing negative emotion.   However, again because I have observed the teaching of taking a joyful attitude in a non-punitive manner in other families, and because I have observed the Duggar children freely express opinions of dislike or not being happy with...
I know that I have heard good things about Magee Hospital and the birthing center there, pretty sure I saw some positive comments on MDC, too.   However, just this quarter my sister has been doing her OB and peds clinicals there, and she came away with a *very* poor impression.  She observed serious insensitivity on the part of the nurses, major intervention pushing, and just general crappiness.  And she is utterly nonplussed by the postpartum area as well.   Has...
I guess I interpret it differently because when I was watching the show, I certainly did see other emotions besides smiles.  Heck, people are constantly picking the Duggars apart based on whatever facial expressions their kids are making.  I'm not sure how they can be "simultaneously fake fake happy" while "all those kids are so obviously unhappy, can't you see it in their faces??" In the interviews the kids express likes and dislikes, tease each other, and occasionally...
Our Christmas is pleasant, reasonably simple, and Jesus-oriented, with a good dose of awesome family time. :)   We skip Santa because dh absolutely cannot stand the mythology of Santa taking pre-eminence over Jesus.  He is not American, and it is very hard for him to even run with it as a "game".  It just icks him out completely.  So no Santa here.  If the subject comes up with the kids, I remind them that it's a "game" and that there was a real Nicholas (bishop of...