or Connect

Posts by cappuccinosmom

Yes there is hope. Are you (and your family) willing to let go of much of that stuff, including the garbage? Start with the garbage. If you and the family set aside a time to dig in and get it done, it won't take you as long as you imagine. Get trash bags and your recycling bins, and go room by room, focusing only on trash. Don't let yourself get distracted by tidying other stuff yet. After that do the same thing for stuff that you're getting rid of. Get it...
Quote: Don't focus on what you don't have or do in your home and I think it makes it easier for kids to have a stronger sense of family identity because instead of always hearing about what you don't want, they know what's important to your family. I was thinking along these lines too. I think some of the "want" in children is picked up from their parents. My parents had the income potential to provide all the "right" stuff for us as kids, and made...
My toddler sort of satellites around his brothers when they do school. Sometimes he's at the table practicing cutting, other times he's playing with his 'shopping basket', other times he's doing "computer school" (educational sites). When he was interested in reading some words and seeing how their letters went in order, I sat down and showed him, but when he lost interest, I let it be. So, essentially no "goals" or formal schooling. But he's learned enough that if...
Quote: Very often, people who are critical of the Israeli gov't/military and/or very pro-Palestinian (in my expeirience)... many don't consider both sides of ANY picture in relation to Palestine/Israel and that in many many many cases, both parties are "in the wrong", which is not to dismiss Israel's part in wrongs, however people often put the blame for many things that happen there solely on Israel's shoulders, when often the issue is far too complicated to...
Many people are surprised to find out that my brother was adopted from Korea as a baby. People regularly comment how much he looks like dad (complete Euro-mutt ). My brother and my dad like it. We giggle about it, because people's inability to differentiate is kind of funny to us. But the reason it's not hurtful or offensive is that from the time he was a toddler, my brother didn't want his identity to be "The one they adopted from Korea" but simply son/brother,...
There's just no way to say for sure. I've had 3 situations that I can think of where my risk of dying was much higher than it would be normally. But other people have survived all three of those situations (all three different), so I *might* have died without medical intervention, but also might not have. Actually, one of them, I didn't have medical intervention for, and still survived. But I was in a situation where had it gotten worse, I could have gotten care.
That's a new one. I'm familiar with "condolance prize" sorts of gifts, something small for a sibling feeling left out. But seriously, if the parents have for whatever reason a child who is jealous of their sibling's birthday and can't wait for their own, then it's the parents responsibility to use their very own dollars if they want to allow that to continue.
Been there. I finally decided that instead of looking for the perfect place for me to feel comfortable, maybe God was asking something from me. To "bloom where I'm planted", serve others, and seek fellowship with people that otherwise might not be on my radar. It's not been easy for me, but it has been good for me.
The mail just came. At least in our house, a good portion of paper stuff comes in via the postal service. When it comes, I take 5 minutes to sort it immediately. Otherwise, that's the beginning of a pile. Today there was a pile of stuff for others in the household. I pulled my stuff out and put the rest on the stairs. Of my stuff, two things immediately went in the trash/recycling. One ad, which I simply do not need, and a duplicate magazine. The other magazine,...
You sound a lot like my brother. When he moved out, my dad took out 15 full garbage bags of paper stuff (with bro's permission) and there was no visible difference. He moved back in and still has masses of paper and information stowed in that small room. Personally, I don't think there is an organizational method that will make a huge difference if you absolutely cannot give up much of this hard-copy information. I understand the wanting to keep feelings though. I...