or Connect

Posts by friendtoall

Children Playing Before a Statue of Hercules (Audio CD) I'm not generally a fan of short stories, but I did enjoy these. Sedaris' goal was to peak readers interest in the authors showcased in this anthology and it worked: I must get some more Tobias Wolff - his short story was hilarious. I was very distracted by the reader of the first story - why was Laura Ingalls Wilder telling that story? (Cherry Jones will forever be embedded in my mind as the voice of Laura...
Oh, no! What is this going to do to the last season of Lost? Henry Ian Cusick is being charged with sexual assault.
Quote: Originally Posted by Logan's mommy Miles asked Ben for 3.2 million when John was holding him (Ben) in his (John's) house in New Otherton (as Sawyer calls it ) He said that if Ben paid him the 3.2 mil that he would tell the people on the freighter that he couldn't find Ben. I don't remember the name of the episode, though. ETA: the names of the episode is Eggtown I thought at the time that the amount was some kind of code, the way...
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBluebird I was so glad to get more of Miles' story. Welcome to the daddy issues club, dude. So, do we think these "what lies in the shadow of the statue?" people are working for Ben/Ben's people or a 3rd player entirely? Just last week I was wondering what happened to the Dharma people in MI. Surely they have figured out something on the island is wrong and would be trying to also get back there and correct...
Quote: Originally Posted by MittensKittens Any ideas for nice things to do outside that don't cost any money? Some games etc? I love taking the kids outside so my DD can learn about different plants, flowers, bugs... and she also knows lots about cars . But I'd like to keep things interesting. When the weather is nice, we do everything outside: Eat on the deck, read under a tree, go for walks, just play, groom the pets. This year, I'm planning...
Quote: Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy One could make an argument that fin-de-siècle New York Society (and therefore Newland and May and Ellen) are "civilized zombies" of a kind. True! Though, Newland only gets infected later, and Ellen is able to escape the zombies by returning to Europe.
The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton (audio) First published in 1920, this book tells the tale of a young man negotiating his way through the social mores of 19th century New York and his quiet heart ache. I enjoyed the very detailed descriptions; I was able to "see" New York a hundred and fifty years ago. Imagine Edith Wharton and very civilized zombies!
Quote: Originally Posted by jest I think that's because the more time someone had spent on the island, the sooner their symptoms started. Miles' nose bleeds started before Sawyer's did, and he had been there 3 months. I don't remember if Miles' nosebleeds started before Juliet's but if so that would mean he had spent more than 3 years on the island. I was meaning that Daniel seems to know or suspect that Miles and Charlotte spent time on the...
Last night I was rewatching last week's episode of Lost. During Hurley and Miles' discussion of time travel, it occured to me that Daniel new he had travelled in time even before time started skipping. Remember when he and Charlotte were playing cards and he was trying to guess what each one was and was disappointed with the results? I think he thought he should know them because he'd done it before. I am also suspicious of his memories because he seemed to know more...
Home Truths by Mavis Gallant The introduction hooked me - I knew I was going to love this author. When posing the question "what is a Canadian", she surmises that it must be anyone who has a good reason to believe they are one! Short stories suited my busy life that week and these were great. Top 10 Victoria and Vancouver by Constance Brissenden Pretty much useless as a guide book of Victoria. A collection of phamphets from the hotel lobby proved to be much...