or Connect

Posts by Comtessa

At DD's preschool, only store-packaged treats are allowed, probably because they can't guarantee allergy friendliness on homemade items, but yuck! I'm supportive of holiday parties as long as they are inclusive, but the junk food makes me sad. I'm trying to figure out what to bring in for the Halloween party that's healthy and also store-packaged -- the options on the sign up sheet were pizza, chips, cheese corn, and candy. I mean -- Really?!
... you have a whole new set of "we don't" household rules, including: "We don't eat the sweep pile" "We don't fingerpaint the cat" "We don't drink the bathwater" "We don't throw yogurt at the walls" Or you've heard yourself say things like:"Get off the baby; she's crawling, not playing horsie!" "You can chew your food or you can nurse, but not at the same time!" and my favorite:... you have peanut butter all over your face, but you don't mind because it's from tiny sticky...
Dear Dr. Sears,   I am hoping you can help arbitrate a dispute I am having with my husband regarding extended breastfeeding and dental caries.   I am tandem nursing both of our children, aged 3 years and 18 months. (The 3 year old is nearly, though not entirely, weaned.) My husband has not been supportive of my choice to breastfeed beyond infancy. It has become the scapegoat of a number of parenting disputes in our household.   The problem of the moment is...
I have 5 covers and 6 fitted cloth diapers (3 newborn size, 3 size small) that I'd like to send to a good home.  They have been used and are well-loved, some could use some TLC.  The newborn size diapers are pretty new, I made them for my second baby and only used them for a couple of months until he grew into our FuzziBunz.  The covers and other diapers were made by a friend, mostly, and they might need a bit of help on elastic/velcro, but there's still life left in 'em...
I use a solution of vinegar and water for a quick spray-and-wipe of the fridge shelves every 6 weeks or so.  It never smells yucky later, IMO.  I don't scrub anymore, unless something spills in there.  Easier to just wipe it down regularly.  Baking soda would be a total PITA, in my opinion, and I'd never waste the time/energy to mess with it.  Ick, it would take so long to get all the grit off the shelves!     Dish soap is also fine for simple cleaning and I don't...
I just read a book recently about decluttering -- the book wasn't super helpful for me, but there was a wonderful bit in the introduction that stuck with me.  The author said she had started her adult life as a terrible packrat, and it was interfering with all parts of her life and her marriage because they were just drowning in her stuff.  And one day, her husband sat her down and said to her, gently, something like, "All of this clutter is getting in the way of the...
So I'm not much of a crafter.  But every so often I get a brainstorm for a new project, or I need a homemade gift, and then I have to go digging through legions of cardboard boxes to find the materials I need.  Then after I'm done with the project, I usually just take everything I used and dump them all back into one of the boxes.  It's utter chaos.  I'd love to find some way to organize the supplies I have so that I don't have to do that every time!  Or worse, forget...
I just rinse out and re-use big glass jars for this sort of thing -- you know, jars from spaghetti sauce, pickles, etc.   A big pickle jar will hold a pound of dried beans or dry rice easily.  You can label the jars so that you know what is supposed to be in there -- it's an easy way to tell what you're low on or out of.     Now, these aren't easily stackable, but I do find that I can stack most of the jars eight or ten in a two-high pile on my counter.  Not great,...
My first was a HB transfer -- I was in labor for 3 days and transferred for exhaustion -- ended up being a fairly textbook delivery with an OB (i.e., flat on back with epidural).     I would have loved to try to HB again for #2, but DH was traumatized by the transfer experience and was determined to avoid the HB experience this time.  I agreed since this time we had access to a natural-birth-focused birthing center at a local hospital.     I loved a lot of things...
I transferred to a HB MW at about 32 weeks, and it was crazy for us and them.  I would not have dared ask for a price reduction after I had thrown her schedule for such a loop at such late notice.  It was generous of her even to take me on at that point.  I ended up being in labor for three days and my MW was there the whole time, barely slept or ate the entire time she was there.  If I calculated her hourly rate based on what I'd paid her and how much work she did on my...