or Connect

Posts by sweetjasmine

Annethcz, I understand about the 401k. Two years ago I cashed mine in to pay off huge credit card debt. I weighed the pros and cons for months and agonized over it but finally decided that I didn't want to be paying on so much debt for years to come. What I was paying in interest alone was nearly trumping any gains I was making in my investments, at least it seemed that way. What a HUGE relief to be rid of my debt! I can honestly say that I don't regret having done it...
I take comfort in my family and God. We put off buying a house so I am thankful for that right now. CC's paid off. Savings put into higher gear. I work full time but I would like to rely less on processed foods. I used to buy organics but quite frankly the prices are just too high right now. We eat out less than we used to, it's now only once or twice a month. And I love MamaEli's post! Very inspiring! Brings to mind my mother's stories of her life as a child...
I love this board, too. I've been lurking for years and only just joined. : Very scary stuff out there. I've been keeping an eye out on my bank, Chase, but I think it's one of the strong ones currently. I've got to be even more diligent with my finances, though. I've made alot of mistakes until a couple years ago. Hubby and I are doing okay but we are in an industry to where we might have to watch our jobs if the economy further tanks. It's time to buckle up and...
mar123, same here in Texas. Our economy is still booming (so far) and cost of living is lower compared to alot of states. But I'm not going to take it for granted. I want to be ready just in case the worst, or near worst, happens. As ready as I can be anyway. Quote: Originally Posted by Charbeau I have long suspected that the true root of moral decay in our society has nothing to do with a move away from religion but more to do with consumerism. ...
These are excellent posts! They are exactly what I've been mulling over lately, too. I have heard some of the same things, that we are the "fake rich" generation and feel that some of our luxuries are actually necessities. Sometimes I'll think about how I can make my life simpler and I'll compare my life now to the 70's when I was a teen and think how much simpler it was back then. My 29 year old daughter feels the same way. One thing she's done is to use a regular...
I used to have a great credit score. I had several cards years ago. Store cards, visa, mc, discover. I eventually paid off and closed the store cards, they were only small amounts. Then I was down to a visa and mc. I paid off the mc but then I stupidly opened up a discover account, maxed it out and eventually ran up the visa to $20k and the interest rate was almost 30%. : I was sinking deeper and deeper and in desperation I cashed out my 401k. I know the arguments...
Quote: Originally Posted by ShaggyDaddy if any FDIC insured bank went down and the FDIC could not refund your money, that would mean the collapse of the entire US economy. In this situation it wouldn't matter if you had 100,000 in hundred dollar bills in your basement, of if you had $2,000 in a credit union... the currency would be worth the paper it is printed on and not much else... in other words, it just plain doesn't matter. Bank wherever is most...
I would pay off the car. I was surprised to learn recently that we have 3 years left on our car loan. I thought there were only 2 years left. Shame on me, must have slipped my mind! I have started to pay double each month to get it paid off in 1 1/2 years. Hopefully, we can keep that up, then after that we will finally be debt free.