or Connect

Posts by heatherdeg

Make sure you check Meetup.com and search "homeschool", "homeschoolers" and "homeschooling".  When I relocated I found some great finds that way.  :)
Thanks--I wouldn't have thought the locations differed and really, I just got the print catalogs and it appears we can take them here in IL, too.  So I'll have to look into that.  Was there a particularly good place to find reviews?  Because a quick Google search isn't bringing anything up and we have so far not really belonged to any gifted forums other than here.   Also, they have a half-day option and we'd totally be doing that.  We also homeschool, but partly because...
Look for local Junior/First Lego League teams.  They start at Kindergarten level.  http://www.usfirst.org    Check the "locations" section of Engineering for Kids to see if they're near you.  They start age 4: http://www.engineeringforkids.net/location   Not sure if you're "for" or "against" Scouting but the Cub Scouts actually have some new and pretty good STEM awards (Nova, SuperNova, CyberChip).  We homeschool and my son has been in scouts at the local school since...
Mine is 9 (about to be 10) and works at various levels above his would-be grade level (4th) depending on the subject.  He's currently loving Carbon Chemistry from Ellen McHenry's Basement.  We've been big fans of Life of Fred for math--especially if you don't need drilling.  There's a bit of recall but nothing like regular curricula.  Mine has actually been reading the books ahead of where he is just to enjoy the stories of them.     We did NOT like Calculus Without...
There's also a TON of building and creating things.  So a kid who likes architecture or Legos could be in their glory.
And if so, did you find the courses to be engaging?  Or "enrichment" as in "higher level content but still classroomy in nature"?   If your kids attended, it would be helpful to know how old they were at the time so I can compare.  I found that the CTD camps and Saturday programs that my son took changed in nature this year when he was a 4th grader (which is a new "level" of programs for them).  We just did the first session of Saturdays and it was VERY classroomy and...
  We're doing the holiday server of the one linked above.  It SHOULD have been good in theory but it's not really working out that way and I'm not sure if that's because it's not one of their regular classes and/or because we didn't pay the extra $5 for it to be a "graded" thing. I find my son gets on there and plays with other kids, but I didn't get any communication about what he's supposed to be doing each week and so he's not been doing any research to contribute...
 Totally agree on the "rigor" vs. "challenge".  I guess what I meant (knowing the particular co-op I'm thinking of) is that I think that even a gifted kid might find at least some challenge in this particular one.  Of course, that assumes a gifted kid who is able to tolerate whatever this place's classroom environment is (I suspect it to be very conservative and potentially not open to one like mine--who needs to be up and around a lot).  Not sure.  But then, we have a lot...
I have one of those.  :/  But good catch.  Sounds like you have an awesome situation.
    I don't know your backstory.  I'm just not on here often enough I guess.