or Connect

Posts by heatherdeg

Yeah--I think this differs by where you are because there's a coop or two here that hit a level of rigor that we serious cannot touch.  It's barely even homeschooling to be honest.  It's more like participating in an unlicensed school where you attend a day or two and do a lot at home if that makes sense.  But yeah... wow... holy moly. I also wanted to note that time of day is irrelevant for teaching your children; and I suspect you imagine it will take 5-6...
 Hmmm... this sounds "offended".  Not exactly my intent.  I'm by no means passive-aggressive and would've said "Hey--why are you doing this, have you considered x?"  I was sharing my experience in regards to grade skipping not slamming your decision, ftr.   That. is. awesome.  Was she familiar with GLL?  Or was it a general concern about the lack of human involvement? Totally agreed.  Although I find that kind of unpredictable intolerance at every grade level.  And having...
Hugs, mama.  If she has SPD, I wonder if that's heightening her reactions overall (I have seen this happen).  And SPD kids often respond well to dietary intervention.  It's not about a "healthy diet" it's about underlying intolerances that could be agitating your child's system.   It's always hard to know how hard to push them in therapy.  BTDT.  You do what you think is best and if it was horrible in retrospect, you make peace with the fact that you were operating under...
I would be another one piping up for looking at diet.  Feingold definitely works for some--if not for ADD/ADHD then usually for other issues that people are unable to manage.  Please don't assume it's about food dyes and preservatives because there are fresh, whole foods involved in it as well.   Gluten (a grain protein found in wheat, barley, rye and sometimes oats) and casein (the protein found in animal milk) are common intolerances.  They happen to be processed by...
 Honestly, this is a pretty vague statement.  What is seemingly healthy for most could cause problems in your child.  We are an organic, grassfed, whole foods family (pretty much nothing is in a package--and I mean that literally) but you know what?  My kid can't eat tomatoes, apples or oranges (among other things).  Doesn't matter that they're organic or non-GMO. So to say that the diet is "healthy" doesn't really say much.  You cannot possibly know how many people I see...
Geofizz--what happened with your dd's school?  Are they going to have you do the Gifted Learning Links?  If the school is paying for them and facilitating, great; but I have heard that they are too expensive for what they are.  We attempted them once, but we wound up changing the date of a move to a new house that conflicted and we weren't able to really participate.  There was a lot of parent involvement required.  So I would be interested to know how they would...
To be fair, if they're testing the immune system the results will not be definitive or accurate until she's 2yo.  So just because she tested negative for something doesn't mean she IS negative for it.  Allergies are a function of the immune system and under the age of 2, that system is not particularly stable and in fact--still carrying maternal antibodies (this has nothing to do with breastfeeding--you don't pass antibodies that way).  Asthma is often connected to...
We didn't do NUMATS, but my son has been doing CTD courses for the last 3 years in person through both the Saturday Enrichment Program (SEP) and summer camps.  He generally attends 2 weeks in the summer and two of the three available schoolyear sessions.  We have not found other programs that offer similarly higher level topics in such engaging ways.  Or at least that's how it was until this fall when he "leveled up".   I'm not sure if this was just the specific teacher or...
 Wondering if your dietary changes included removing both soy AND dairy simultaneously. The coincidence rate of reaction is 80-85% so it's one of those times I advise people to remove two at the same time and then challenge one at a time to see if they're both an issue or just one.  Otherwise, people remove one or the other and don't see change and believe that the person is just not reacting to whichever one they pulled out.  :/  And reflux is often related to food...
I AM a WAHM (self-employed) and dh is a WAHD (employed by a big bank).  It's interesting!   And I was less talking isolation and more about how socialization happens--but yeah, you seem to have that.  I will pm you a link to the article for talking points in case you get hammered for this since the education community takes a pretty firm stance on socialization only happening (or happening best or happening with the most intensity and therefore most abundant opportunity...