or Connect

Posts by heatherdeg

I have a Master's in Teaching with extra grad credits in SpEd plus one specific to teaching children with autism and between that and my brief time teaching in public school (all of which validated what I suspected while doing my Master's)... I do not connect well with the public system's way of "educating" either.   Mine is now about to be 10yo but when we pulled him it was just before Kindy.  He was too young for an Aspie dx but had at least "graduated" to a PDD-NOS dx...
 And that can be a head's up for food problems. Low oxalate diet means steering clear of foods that are high in a naturally occurring substance called "oxalates".  There are a lot of these kinds of "families" of foods that could irritate your son's system.  For my family, it's salicylates.  For others, it's nightshades.  Not chemicals--they occur in fresh (even organic) foods.  And this is where keeping a log becomes pretty critical.  For instance when I scan a clients log...
 Actually, it was your comment about the amount of sugar he gets that made me reply.  And really--as much for anyone else reading.  :)
mooninmamma--we're about to approach the local high school about ours taking an astronomy class.  Was the video class with the local school?  Did you find the older kids to be receptive to your 10yo?  I think that's our current challenge.   And this is the first year mine is sitting down to learn anything more than math.  We're finishing up chem and he wants to move on to Anatomy & Physiology.  I've been trying to impose research skills on him (at a pretty basic level to...
I totally had that 4yo and he was also reactive to dairy.  We were looking at bipolar, ODD and he already had a spectrum diagnosis.  It was absolutely horrifying.  I panicked pretty regularly that someone would see enough of it to call us in to cps.  His rages often spilled out of the house (we also homeschool) and I'm sure we were "that family".  He said the most hateful things (and more about him dying than him killing anyone).   Ultimately, it was a rather severe...
You haven't been ignoring his real needs.  Label doesn't dictate what you do--the needs do.  The label doesn't dictate the needs.   You have been addressing his NEEDS, not his LABEL... as it should be.   Hugs, mama.
We often have these threads, but I'm wondering specifically about the older kids.  Mine turns 10yo in January.   Mine has not been tested since he was 5-1/2 (the May/June before Kindy) and that was only because he had an IEP in place for OT and auditory processing problems and they went to declassify him on the premise that he was gifted.  Because, ya know, being gifted means you can just compensate for your hands and ears not working.     He is homeschooled and a...
I had that kid!  Entering K with 4th grade comprehension (minimum--content bored him so he stopped trying with the testing), college level decoding and blew math/science off the charts.  Our school (which sounds so much like yours that I was looking for your location!) refused to skip him to first or second grade even though their own psych review said he was mature enough to handle it.   I asked a first grade teacher in the school (one I really respected) what to do and...
 "dietary issues" is not about the quality of food someone eats.  It's about foods that irritate that individual system.  My kid can't have tomatoes, oranges or apples (they happen to be related).  Doesn't matter that they're fresh and organic.  So to toss the diet theory out on "my kid eats unprocessed, low-sugar food" is only seeing one potential aspect.  Even then, I have one with such severe blood sugar regulation issues that he can't even have fruit without it being...
I think I recall California being pretty lax on this point.  I'm a staunch bfer but I have to agree with the pp that noted how traumatic it can be for the baby to suddenly be moved and deal not just with new smells/surroundings/sounds and styles of parenting, but then their FOOD.   And often, they don't have an HIV test back and if I'm recalling correctly--that can be passed from nursling to nurser.   Broke my heart not to nurse my ad.  She was placed with me with a...