or Connect

Posts by heatherdeg

Be sure they are not just doing urinalysis and that they send out the test for full cultures.  They assume that if the urinalysis is cleared that the cultures would be clear, but I am one of those people that can have a clean urinalysis and when they send for cultures--it shows that I have a raging infection.  But I have to demand that they run the cultures because they don't usually. Also, I have a food intolerance and the excessive urination came on pretty suddenly....
 Agreed that it's all a matter of how you homeschool, although we DO use some curricula.  My oldest is 9 going on 10 and really--I can spend a few hours on a weekend afternoon with all of his books (we use an eclectic blend of things), my computer (for Meetup, etc.) and lay out his assignment planner for at least a month.  He pretty much never needs me to be involved other than to check that he DID his work.  We're not rigorous academic school-at-home-ers, but we're not...
 All of the things that led you to getting the test would be the things you'd be looking at to see if they continue to exist or disappear (or appear again during a challenge).  Also, changes in diaper output (assuming he's still in diapers--toilet output if he's trained)  I think testing gives you a good jumping off point for doing more probing by way of tracking logs, removal and challenges.  I don't think that testing is the only way to know what to start with for...
   Although this thread was about gluten, I couldn't agree with this more.  For example, mine responded profoundly to fish oil. I have referred back to Bock's book over and over again.  It's one to own.
My now 9yo was suspected of CP & profound deafness at 8mo old.  He had lower extremity stiffness, profound developmental delays (at 9mo, he scored between 2-6mo depending on the area--and I realize that's not a 7mo delay in most areas, but it is more than 50% delayed in most areas at that age) and if you dropped a book next to him--he didn't flinch.  In retro, when he was VERY young, he wasn't happy unless he was standing (with lots of help, but he wanted to be STANDING)....
 There is absolutely no definitively accurate test for gluten intolerance other than elimination/challenge.  Not even the biopsy for Celiac is conclusive.  I regularly attend training for doctors and licensed medical workers (usually of a holistic nature) and it is discussed ad nauseum about the various pitfalls of each. I agree that lots of other things can produce "autism-like symptoms" much the same as many things can produce "ADHD/ADD-like symptoms".  Gluten...
I'm a health & wellness coach, writer and speaker.  I will echo the earlier advice of having a routine.  My work hours are pretty much set in stone and everyone--including me--must honor them.  I think it helps if everyone in the house sees it as a "family business".  Especially my husband.  Once that happened (thankfully early on) life changed.  It's also critical that I do my work isolated from the family.  I currently have in-house, but very out of the way space...
It sounds like you have more than one thing going on.  Your weight fluctuation and "PCOS" dx lead me to thinking you are more likely suffering from hyperinsulinism.  It's often the cause of a PCOS diagnosis where there are no cysts.  At minimum, it runs with it if not misdiagnosed as it.   As for the eczema, GERD and allergies--that sounds like you might be reacting to something and only because of the eczema would I try ruling out dairy & soy first.  It could really be...
Yeah, you do get used to it.  I've just come to where people say "what about just a little bite" I recognized their COMPLETE ignorance and say "As long as you will come to my house and stay up with him all night as he is unable to control his body movements and is pretty much deaf as he is up all night long exhausting you with worry that he'll hurt himself while trying to help his body feel better or wake the neighbors with his screaming... I'm thinking you're not up for...
This is late to the game, but there is some research tying asthma to food intolerances.  I used to have the link bookmarked but I'm with a new hard drive after a crash that lost most of my data.  :(   My son had horrible recurrent croupe from infancy through maybe about 3yo (when we found a homeopathic remedy that squashed it).  We had a standing Orapred prescription.  He was diagnosed with Reactive Airway Disorder somewhere between 18-24 months old and we were told...