or Connect

Posts by heatherdeg

If you are basing her "not having allergies" on bloodwork, I wouldn't assume she doesn't have allergies.  Or rather, she may still have intolerances.  Especially if that bloodwork was done at the beginning of things--3 years ago.   Gluten and dairy (actually, anything--but these are the two major ones) are notorious for causing the underlying inflammation that can cause asthma.  It's worth investigating via elimination even if the test say it's not a problem.  I usually...
The bloodwork for allergy testing isn't reliable until they're over 2yo because their immune system isn't stable yet and there are still maternal antibodies washing out (even if a child is never breastfed--that has nothing to do with it).  So it's not shocking that the tests didn't line up.  Even so, IgE reactions are only one type of reaction.  I remember a good immunologist/allergist telling us years ago to "remove a suspect and look for a reaction"--stating that this...
You might want to post this to one of our doctors (one that aligns with your medical preference) in our Ask The Experts forums:   http://www.mothering.com/community/f/16907/ask-the-experts   Mine did the high temp teething stuff, too.  In fact, my bio ds and a former foster daughter were the worst with it.  I'm a panic person for fevers, so at 104, I took them in if it lingered there.   I often used 1-2 drops of peppermint oil in 3-4 drops of whatever I had...
  We brought our son home for the Pre-K year.  He would now be ending 3rd grade.  SO. MUCH. HAS. CHANGED!!!  I could probably pull up some of my own old threads in this forum and have a good chuckle!   We are now semi-unschooly, Charlotte Mason-ish with a splash of academia (because I have a math/science head that wants to learn calc... so he is   ).   Our 4yo dd would be entering pre-k this fall (she turns 5 in Nov) and we've solidly put that to bed.  I'm...
     Although in our house, it was salicylates.  And for my ds, it not only resolved night bedwetting, but daytime poop accidents (he was age 7 when we found this).  Since we all eat the same thing (so if one is allergic/intolerant--nobody eats it) going salicylate-free also cleared up MY excessive urination problem that had stumped the doctors for about 2 years.  It was getting to the point where I couldn't take a 20 minute car ride and had gotten progressively worse in...
We never noticed a behavioral reaction with gluten, but there was a physical one for my ds.  We DID notice behavior differences with dairy, soy & corn.  And blood sugar.  My ds is like meemee's child and we are very much in the same boat.  It doesn't need to be actual sugar--it just needs to resolve to simple sugars in the bloodstream.  So fruits do us in.  We are mostly grain free but when we do have it, we have to be VERY careful to pair it with fats to slow down the...
Honestly, when they stop needing me in the middle of the night.  Both my 9yo & 4yo STILL do (although the 9yo it's less common these days).  I long for the day (I don't mind them coming in to my bed--but it's seriously limiting our housing choices and we've been looking for almost 3 years due to relocation... blech)
    When mine was 4yo the tantrums were SO bad and lasted so long that I actually videotaped them in case someone came knocking on my door.  It was no joke.  The mainstream parenting books were a full-on joke and I was suddenly looking at books directed at the adoptive community for Reactive Attachment Disorder.     Other things that helped:   * A book called "Montessori In The Home" (really, really short and to the point about how to set up your home in ways that foster...
    Although I wouldn't limit it to oxalates.  Sensory issues can often be reduced (or eliminated) by nailing a food irritant that's not presenting the reaction we're accustomed to seeing.  Salicylates or even just gluten/casein/soy are common irritants for kids with sensory issues (and spectrum disorders).   ETA:  Excessive urination is also a common sign of intolerance/allergy.  I realize this seems to have come on quickly and yes, it might BE a UTI of some sort--but...
So, there are a few things to note:   * Suspect you mean PDD-NOS (a milder diagnosis in the autism spectrum) as opposed to ODD (Oppositional Defiance Disorder--which is a disorder of violent/aggressive behavior that is way beyond normal).    * Giftedness and spectrum disorders overlap.  Sometimes a child has one and is diagnosed with the other.   * Kids in the spectrum are notorious for having gut-related issues.  And a large portion of parents with kids in...