or Connect

Posts by heatherdeg

We have that album... and I learned an awful lot.       ...your friend comes over, sees a calc book and assumes you're taking a college course because your kids are all under 10yo.
    In fact, I'll take it a step further:  our son's absence seizures "disappeared".     We started with dairy, then gluten, then soy, and later corn.  But dairy and soy were the biggest (he had a clear physical problem with gluten, but nothing cognitive that we could definitively tie).  Come to find out 4 years later that 80-85% of people that react to dairy also react to soy.  Who knew?  Not any of our doctors at the time (or us).   Our son had a collapsed lung 24 hours...
I never posted on your other thread in the fall, but I remember it.  I followed it.  And I remember that he was emotionally abusive.  Why is he waiting 2 months?  It sounds manipulative.   How are you feeling about this?  Are you okay?
Well, I was raised primarily by a bipolar alcoholic.  Talk about opposite end of the spectrum, right?   I would probably not react to it, but instead, engage the kids.  Ask them who they are imitating? (which is better than asking "where they got that from" which often signals "trouble" or "bad").  I would take the opportunity to have a lot of good talking about alcohol.  Do they know what it is?  How it's different from coffee or tea?  Did they know there are laws...
WELCOME!!!  My name is Heather... because my grandfather was from Scotland.     What brought you to MDC?
Wow... good question.  I started homeschooling in NJ, where that didn't exist.  I haven't heard of it here in IL, either. In both states, parents are not required to notify/register with the state to homeschool.  Here in IL, we get a tax credit of up to $500 for education expenses... so that's kind of nice.  Of course, it's like 20% (I think that's the percentage) of money you spend on qualifying things up to a max credit of $500.  So, not exactly the same, but it's...
  I've been there.  When mine turned 3yo and transitioned into the school district, they did a round of tests and some of the results confused the IEP team.  As I sat there, I suddenly understood--he didn't know these isolated things because after over a year of therapy--he pretty much only knew what was "programmed" into him.  He had NO generalization skills.  Effectively, he was a computer.  It was the first time I had actually cried about my son--petrified of his...
I think that commitment is an honorable thing, but at what cost?  The reality is that he is not unaware of the problems and you two have not managed to connect on a way to resolving them.  What good is the commitment if nobody's happy?  What is to be gained by it? (I'm not being sarcastic--this is something you need to really ask yourself: what do you "get" out of staying committed?)   The reality is that even if you divorce, if things change (I mean TRULY change)...
I have that MIL, by the way.  And it went on with her publicly and viciously picking at me for a few years.  She was so bad that others in the family engaged in it to.  My BIL's ex-girlfriend of 10 years called me about a year after they broke up to apologize for her behavior--saying that she did it because I was the enemy and you were somewhat forced to take sides.   I really won't put on the internet the things that went on.  I honestly have no clue how or why I...
  Well, as the one who spent a few years being the belittler,  I would give two pieces of advice for this:   1) No, do not take it.  But also, don't break the rule yourself.   2) Try to get at where it's coming from.       You may not see what pain it is that is spilling out in the way of belittling.  But someone who is okay with hurting someone they love by what can be akin to verbal abuse is clearly spilling over with something inside.  You have a few options there,...