or Connect

Posts by heatherdeg

To your first point, the OP noted her husband's lack of discipline in accomplishing this.  I'm not sure how to fight that, but maybe someone else has ideas.   But yeah, you're right that refinancing is not free.   OP, if you feel you have very liquid emergency funds elsewhere, then I wouldn't tap the house.  You might call the mortgage company and ask them to change your rate if nothing else.  Sometimes they can do a "streamline refinance" where it doesn't cost you...
I don't see where we have any austerity in the U.S. to GET used to...?  What am I missing?   Totally agreed.  And as you noted in your first item, the people voting for these things are the ones most affected by them--thus they won't vote for them (corporations getting off welfare hurts them in campaign contributions).   I find it remarkable that the gov't got so upset seeing some of the lavish things the corporations did after the bailout--pulling them into DC to...
Confirm with mortgage rep, but...   * You should not have to put anything down to REFI a house you already own.  If you have owned it less than a year, you may have to hunt around for a bank that WILL refi.  Most banks want you to have owned the house a minimum of 6mo before they will refi nowadays.  But if you have the equity in the house, you shouldn't have to put anything out.  And frankly, if you're underwater and having trouble making payments, you still...
Oh--missed that refi remark.  Ummm... yeah... notsomuch.  I was in that position when I realized that they couldn't confirm employment and I therefore couldn't refinance for lack of income.  And that was in early 2001 when prospects of being re-employed were WAY better.
  Okay, so here are my thread title ideas...   Adoptive & Foster Parenting:  "LW says I have to stop bfing 2yo bs for homestudy to be approved...?"  (lw=licensing worker, bs=biological son)   Special Needs Parenting or LAHAB:  "School said it is illegal to homeschool a SN child--now what?"   (SN="special needs"--replace with "IEP" if LAHAB)   Parenting (or Toddlers):  "Is 150 people too many for a 2nd bday party?"     You totally...
If you can still maintain at least 20% of equity at your home's current market value (in this economy/market), I really wouldn't worry about taking money out of the house.  I know that might not be a really popular answer, but I would actually probably look to fund the entire roof repair against the house that way if it could be done with maintaining that equity cushion.   First, it's a capital repair.  I absolutely would never fund anything other than that against a...
I think you're idea of how to find someone is spot-on.  And I'm not sure how much babysitters cost where you are for when you go out to dinner and leave them alone; but I'd knock 20% off of that because they're not really being left alone with the kids.  When I lived in NJ, "mother's helper" jobs in the summer were for 13yo-ish girls... specifically BECAUSE they weren't alone and fully responsible for the kids--especially if something went wrong, ya know?  And it didn't...
I should note that I DID try progesterone cream (and spent a fortune to ensure I had a good one and put it in all the right places) but it didn't really work for me.  I did suspect hormone levels being off because I have an insulin disorder (way too much of it--mis- and undiagnosed for 17 years because they kept checking my sugar! >:(  ) and it threw off my hormone levels (discovered after a few miscarriages because I started the whole baby thing older--when more damage...
Funny, because the childhood you described was pretty close to mine in my biological, single parent household with a mother that kept having kids as she felt it would keep the next guy--leaving me to care for newborns at the age of 8.   I agree with you that foster children absolutely tax the family resources.  We happen to be a two-parent home with a stay-at-home mom and a work-at-home dad.  When we took older children (briefly) this was critical because, yeah, our son...
My dd turned 2 in early Nov. and is about 24lbs.  She's something like 50th percentile for weight and 75th for height?  I think.  Or maybe the reverse?  I don't know.  My point is that she's not exactly tiny.  :D   I bought several 90s thinking she'd need that size at this point and they're too big.  The 80s are working really well for her.  I even washed the 90s in hot thinking they might shrink a bit (specifically a day dress/play dress) and notsomuch.  What's...