or Connect

Posts by newmainer

Rescue Remedy is a flower essence and it is an energetic medicine, but it is made differently than homeopathic remedies and the effects are different. Rescue Remedy is great to put in water for daily stress, or after a fright or unsettling situation. It's an emotional, calming blend for in the moment. It doesn't shift deep underlying behavior patterns or imbalances.    There as so many remedies, and homeopathy is all about the individual. What i am talking about is...
ah, this might be where we belong :) We are anticipating a move to homeschooling at the mid-year but I'm doing a bunch of geeking out about it right now and dreaming and figuring as we psyche ourselves up for the switch.    My dh and i are both totally into child-led learning and more unschooling, but radical unschooling is not for us. And I like projects- I love the Outward Bound Expeditionary learning model (there is actually a middle school in a city about 1.5 hours...
Well, as a homeopath, I would say consider homeopathy :) especially for children- they respond so well, and I would definitely credit some shifts in my children's relationship and their own behavior to constitutional homeopathic treatment. As well as taking remedies myself to help me deal with it and feel more capable of holding the space and responding to it appropriately. It helps to bring the individual into balance, as the extremes in our personalities are often where...
Nice, thanks, all. I do leave my kids together at home from time to time as I actually think that when i am *not* around, they get along quite fine. Go figure. My dh does a combo of working from home and traveling, and we have an external office to the house. So we are comfortable with them being in the house and one of us in the office. But i do envision having someone on schedule 8-10 hours a week who can drive them to activities, etc... I figure it will kind of work...
Thanks Dela and Fillyjonk... I have thought that hs'ing would possibly help even things out w/o the effects of school, which i do sometimes see come into play. In the summer, they are together *a lot* and are each others' primary playmate, which makes for the full spectrum. So i envisioned that it would be the same. I see helping and facilitating the relationship as one of my biggest roles and probably most challenging. We work on it a lot, have family meetings when...
Thanks- I agree with you Catholic Mama, that I think working will help me to keep the balance. I had thought about hs'ing with my dd when she was small, and then once my ds came along and i was deep in the trenches with 2 strong willed, high energy kids, I couldn't do it. At this point, now having some work I can do for myself alongside, I feel like it will be a win-win.    rcr- good thoughts. The other advantage about having a helper take the kids to social activities...
We're thinking about homeschooling (dd 10, ds 7), but I have a private practice that I am not willing to give up, so it would entail having about 10-15 hours of work time away from the kids each week. My mom would be one person to help, and I would hire someone for the balance.    Anyone do this? I'd love to hear about what you have going on and how you've made it work. My work is such that I do have flexibility, I can get up early mornings to check emails, write, work...
We are not homeschooling yet, but are seriously considering, perhaps after Christmas. As I mull over the potential challenges, sibling dynamics is at the top of the list. My dd is 10, my ds is 7. They are either totally best playmates, or fighting and drama. They seem to be in a big physical phase, where they can't even be on the couch together without it turning into major physical rough housing, or fighting over whose foot is touching whose. Gah! It makes me want to tear...
My kids are both in a small K-8 school right now, and we are thinking about pulling them out. I really resonate with the idea of the community, and being a part of it, although I have to say a lack of an *authentic* feeling of belonging is part of our choice. There are great families and many who have been here for generations. We are 'outsiders' who have only been here for 6 years. Although we have been welcomed and it feels nice to be there, I often think I romanticize a...