or Connect

Posts by VikingKvinna

Oh, I'm sorry - I misread your OP and thought your DD was literally physically pushing. Gosh, that does change things somewhat...I mean, your friend shouldn't get "scary angry" over a child saying "go away" even repeatedly, IMO. Pushing or hitting, maybe would be more understandable. I think your description of it as 'over the top' sounds right on target. She needs to understand that you and your DD both are goign through something HUGE and stressful, especially for the...
Please help! Over the weekend DP said to me that he is ready to try spanking our DS, who is almost 6 and with whom we've been having a lot of trouble lately. I am opposed to this -- adamantly opposed, as in I will leave DP before I let him spank -- and he did agree that we need to try some other things. We just are nearly at a loss as to what to try, though. The situation (as brief as I can make it): DS is very smart, can be very sweet, but has a terrible time with...
It sounds as though you left the situation having resolved things, at least somewhat, with your friend, though? I think leaving at the first signs of trouble (and explaining to your DD beforehand that those will be the consequences for pushing etc.) is probably the best approach. But it also seems that you need to address the underlying problem here too, ie., reduce the tension in your house. IK that's a LOT easier said than done, but it occurs to me that perhaps your...
Hugs, Mama. Doesn't the "only Mom will do" thing drive you batty, especially when it's something as seemingly small as putting on lotion or getting a glass of water? Still, give yourself a pat on the back for the way you handled the earlier incidents.
Quote: Originally Posted by KJoslyn78 Personally, if i was invited for dinner i wouldn't make the hostess/host go out of their way to provide something additional for me to eat (as has been the case for the last 4 years - my step-mom does the Thanksgiving meal). I have always just enjoyed the side dishes anyways LOL especially stuffing. I havent tried tofurky - but why isnt that an option? I've heard if relatively good alternative for...
Quote: Originally Posted by paisleypoet Is lentil loaf too "out there?" I don't know how Thanksgiving-y it is, but it sure is yummy with some mushroom gravy. Yeah, probably. This guy is a real meat-and-potatoes fellow, except no meat. He eats terribly (hardly any veg, lots of eggs and bread and junk food, etc.) and is reluctant to try anything "health-food" like. Go figure. I'm not worried about the amount of food -- at all! DP and I have...
Quote: Originally Posted by texaspeach I like them mashed with chipotle and adobo Chipotle-mashed sweet potatoes are one of my favorite things ever. I also really like sweet-potato and black-bean stew. Google (or search here) for a recipe, or holler if you want mine. I know I've posted it a bazillion times here, so you could probably find it.
Tonight we are having ham and cabbage -- a half-picnic ham, cooked in a small amount of water until falling off the bone, with potatoes and wedges of cabbage added to the mix. Total comfort food for me!
Quote: Originally Posted by flminivanmama oh duh - we can't use tofu either (due to dh's aforementioned soy allergy lol) - I just use an egg and some mayo to hold fish patties together Yes, I usually use egg, flax and/or mayo. I just happened to have the tofu that I needed to use up and thought it might help bind/stretch the salmon, which it did, but I like egg better. When I make "regular" (ie, non asian-flavored) salmon patties, I really...
OK, so for two years running now we've had vegetarian guests coming for Thanksgiving, and both times I haven't found out until the last minute (either that they were vegetarian, or that they were coming for dinner!). So they had to eat side dishes and fill up on bread. This year they are both returning (believe it or not!) and I want to do a main dish for them. Can you all help me brainstorm? My requirements: - no faux meats, like seitan or tofurkey - something...