or Connect

Posts by swellmomma

I am in zone 2/3 here. Haven't planted anything yet though, it is currently snowing, so the garden is not ready to work yet. I have however, bought all my seeds and and now planning out how I am going to arrange the garden(it is my first one and we just moved here 2 weeks ago). Hopefully in the next 1-2 weeks I can start planting the first of the seeds.
Now you all have me thinking I was wrong in my guess-timate of my garden space. I was estimating by picturing my 6'2" bil laying down along 1 edge lol It seems so huge to me, especially with very little lawn left. Then again the yard in my current place is HUGE so maybe that is why this seems like no yard and huge garden. I will look more into space requirements for plants. My plans as far as veggies go this year is peas, beans(sugar, pole, wax, and a purple kind I...
The garden itself is about 8' by 14' or so (rough estimate I have not measured it). Basically it is bigger than my livingroom lol The remaining part of the backyard is grass, with enough space to maybe put a patio table and chairs or a swingset. There is very little lawn left. THough if the kids stick to the patio and grass along the side of the house and front lawn to play it might work.
The place I just bought has a HUGE garden. It takes up 2/3 of the backyard. I have a couple questions about using a space that big to the highest potential. Right now my plans are to plant some apple trees along the very back of this space at it goes nearly right to the alleyway and there is no fence. Along one side is a chicken wire fence(along the proprty line) with a couple raspberry bushes. I plan to add a couple more in the bigger gaps. That leave the bulk of...
You all have me so excited! I started drying with racks last summer when my dryer broke. I was not permitted to use a clothes line(not even the umbrella type) in the rental I was in, but I just bought a house and one of the features that sold me on it was teh HUGE clothlines that goes diagonally across the whole back yard from the back door. I am so excited to use it starting next week(we take possession on friday). I am going to keep using the racks indoors to dry...
We just went today to get the keys for my new small town home today and I was so excited to see the size of the garden. When we viewed the house before there was still lots of snow, now it is all gone and the garden takes up 2/3 of the backyard. I am a wanna be homesteader. Between my big plans for that garden and the raspberry bushes I hope to have a good start at growing my own veggies and making jam. I plan to plant some apple trees this year as well. The property...
I am so glad the homeschoolling part was dropped. But holy crap, I can not believe they put this 4 hour order in. That is less than 30 minutes per day unsupervised with your own child. You have already been cleared of wrong doing but they can still stipulate that?? INSANE! I really hope your lawyer is right and at the next court hearing they close this all and leave your family alone.
YEs with rules. No one else's flowers, stay out of the veggie garden and if we are out walking by the lakes etc those plants/flowers are there for everyone and can not be picked. The kids like to gather clover, dandelions, grass, leaves, sticks dirt etc and use them in their play. Right now my ds6 has a pine cone "store" set up on the front lawn. They also have been making "soup" in the little swimming pool mixing water, grass, dirt etc and stirring it all up. My...
I exposed my ds (now six) to my dd's shingles on purpose when he was about 15 months old. She had it across her side and chest so I had her play with him topless with lots of hugs and cuddles. I took dd2.5 to my ds's friend's house when he got chicken pox 2 weeks ago. I had tea with the mom while the boy played with my dd. So far she shows no sign of getting the pox, though we have another week to wait before knowing for sure. It took me a year to find someone I knew...
BEfore using meds I would try a few other things. YOu are already doing the therapy root. have you made any connections between diet and sleep? I ask because my ds11 will wet the bed if he has apple juice at anytime during the day. He will have night terrors if he has had too much sugar(for him too much is not much at all) etc. Maybe keep a log of diet, activity, stressors and sleep patterns for a while and see if you notice any patterns. ALso have you tried...