or Connect

Posts by bigteamug

Yes, I do realize that not all Montessori schools give homework, and that much of it is not traditional, but when your kid does have papers/books/math/research type of homework, where do they do it?   I need to set a workspace for DD1 - my parents very kindly bought her a desk from neighbors, but I realize now that it is too rickety and doesn't have room to spread out her books and papers.  True to her Montessori classrooms, DD1 is doing her homework on the floor.  It's...
Thanks, SweetSilver.     There are Cornell Cherries in the parks here, and I like them for looks, but I've heard the named varieties selected for fruit taste much better.   I'll check again, but I seem to remember concluding that we don't get enough heat for long enough to get kiwis ripe other than the arctic ones.  At least they are pretty - those are the variegated ones, and one of the female ones is supposed to be somewhat variegated as well.   I'm looking into...
Hiya,     So we've had the landscaper out to help us plan what to do with our disaster of a yard - it was a rental for some time before we got the house, and then we've been free ranging our hens in the back, so disaster is the right word.  We'll pretty much be starting from scratch.  The landscaper is more for the big stuff - grading, patio, fence, irrigation, etc - we'll be doing a lot of the lighter work.   I'm creating a list of plants to use (we're in dry Eastern...
I was able to find out that this is probably what MM called "the Age of Rudeness".  But I'm still looking for books on the subject.  I can try to ask DD's teacher, but it will be hard to see her without anyone else around.     And I have got a recommend on a really good counselor.  But it takes awhile to get things going.
Yep, I know that I've got my school philosophies mixed up, that the "Nine Year Change" is a more Waldorf idea, but I'm needing to know what Montessori has to say about the year that kids are 9-ish.  DD1 is going to be entering 3rd grade, so the last of the lower elementary years, but will be turning nine this fall (our state has cut-off rules that I am none too thrilled with, but that is another issue....).     I have heard from many people that nine is a rough year,...
So having gone a year and a half in depression treatment, I am starting to realize that summer is a huge trigger for me.  Messed up schedule, seeing less of mama friends, having very little time by myself, it all adds up - so while I was sorta ok for awhile, it's getting bad again.   Anybody else noticed this pattern?  What helped most?  
Now I'm really lost.  I picked just a few out, but I'm sure there were others in there that were looking unsoaked.     Cooked 'em up with a piece of kombu, first time using that, and a box of chicken broth (sorry, I know it's the veg forum, but I figured y'all had the most bean expertise), and they were the most creamy, wonderful beans I have ever made.  Kombu was the only new thing.  haven't hit a hard bean yet.  I don't know what to think, but the kombu will be a...
I've been running into an issue lately  - when I soak my beans overnight, they are not absorbing the water evenly.  ?!?!?   We start 'em at bedtime-ish, around 8pm or so, and we stir them as soon as we're up in the morning, and several times during the day.  When I go to cook them around 4pm or so the next day, (and dump the water to replace it) there are beans that don't looked soaked - some look almost like they just went in the water, some have some wrinkling like...
Um, vinyl that old may have asbestos in it.  Better check before you start on removal.    
I think that AFM is preservative-free and therefore can ONLY be used on surfaces that are free of mold.  Don't know that it is the best product for this use.  Replacement might be best.     Maybe it might be worth looking into one of the natural oil products?  Linseed oil or such?  They do have their own odor, and you have to be careful which one you get - many aren't low VOC.