or Connect

Posts by Murihiku

Thanks, dancindoula. I've just come to post that I've found it! It is the actors' commentary, in scene 51, "The Breach of the Deeping Wall," in The Two Towers. Sean Astin, Elijah Wood, and Andy Serkis have a really interesting discussion about how the film was received in context of the invasion of Iraq over the top of the footage of Legolas surfing down the steps on his shield. Astin does refer to the line from the later speech. Yay, I'm so happy now. Thanks...
Thanks, Black Orchid. Thanks, Annie, but I know the actual speech; I just have a memory of Sean Astin saying something about the speech. Can't find it though--perhaps it's a made-up memory!
Help! I am sure that I heard on the DVD actors' commentary for The Lord of the Rings an anecdote by Sean Astin where he says how he was going to sign an autograph by quoting Sam's line about "There's some good in this world and it's worth fighting for," but it was around the time of the Iraq War and that made him hesitate. Now I can't find it. Is there any chance anyone remembers the anecdote and remembers where to find it? I'm sure it must be in Two Towers or...
Quote: Originally Posted by Sustainer Hopefully he means that all babies should have to be provided with breastmilk, one way or another. All babies getting breastmilk is an admirable goal, but I disagree with using a ban on formula as a means to achieve it. Any way I doubt he was advocating starvation for any babies. Well then (and I expect you're right), let's hope he meant one way but not another. I can think of several extremely...
Quote: Originally Posted by daniandquin I'm pretty sure that Minister Aaron Motsoaledi wasn't meaning a total ban on infant formula. But he said they should be "banned altogether." That sounds like he thinks babies who don't have access to breastmilk should starve to death. Perhaps he's just not paying attention to his words. Benefit of the doubt, and all that.
Quote: Originally Posted by zinemama DDC crashing to say that Violet is very nice. Triniti is cursed with kree8tyv spelling and thus can never be considered classy. Sorry to be so blunt but I think you are right in feeling that there's something trashy about it. Even spelled correctly I'm not crazy about it - and it seems like something only a Christian would choose (no offense if you're Christian). Hee, that's funny because I was thinking it...
Quote: Originally Posted by newmum35 I don't believe for one minute that it was "H1N1" that killed this "perfectly healthy" child. What role did Gravol and fever lowering medications play? Did he actually have (or additionally have) meningitis that went untreated? Too many unanswered questions, and I also have to wonder his vax status as well, was he a fully vaxed child, what does his vaccine history look like? A semantic question: when you say...
Quote: Originally Posted by BugMacGee When you guys have 1) had to hold pressure on a baby's penis for an hour in hopes that his circ would stop bleeding (It didn't BTW had to use topical Epinepherine) 2) seen a baby's penis turn black minutes after a circ (I was also his nurse later when we took him off life support because he had an fatal imune deficiency) 3) seen babies over and over again who won't breastfeed because they are in pain due to circ (much...
Quote: Originally Posted by Mama2Jesse For example, if you flip your kid front facing at four months, people are going to ask you WTH you are thinking. If your feelings get hurt, well, tough cookies. Kid's safety comes before grown adult emotions. False dichotomy. It's not either "mind your own business and let that adult put her baby at risk" or "Say 'What the hell are you thinking?". You can speak up and be as considerate of the adult's...
Quote: Originally Posted by babygrant Oy oy oy. Should've just kept my mouth shut and vented somewhere else. I've been anti-circumcision ever since I knew what it was, but the fanaticism I've found on this forum has actually made me more tolerant of those who practice it, just as an emotional reaction. I don't believe those nurses had purely good intentions. They probably thought they did, but I would bet their concern for babies is all...