or Connect

Posts by Holland73

Have you spoken with her therapist?  Most therapists would be open to scheduling a collateral session with parents when requested.  Some therapist actually require collateral session on a regular monthly basis.  The therapist will be able to help you process what you're experiencing with your dd, in addition to supporting you in ways to help your dd.   How does your dd feel about medication?  This is also something you can speak with her therapist about.  Antidepressants,...
I'd be very weary when using threats against anyone.  
Personally, I'd call CPS, explain the situation to them and then see what next steps they advise.  The only reason why I say this, which I know is in opposition to what I initially wrote, is because 1) it can be pretty intimidating, especially for a kid, at the police station and 2) if the bruise is too light to even be picked up on in a picture and it has been a couple days since the incident, then I'd err more on the side of conservative action.   I'm also going to...
  I work collaboratively with CPS on a daily basis... I do the mental health assessments and therapy - if deemed necessary - on CPS referred cases.  In my county (and it does vary greatly by county), as soon as a mark and/or bruise is witnessed - preferably by a third party - they will investigate within either a 24 or 72 hour time frame.  The details of the reports are assigned points... the higher the points the quicker the investigation.  The fact that it is your...
This is a great resource that I have used frequently both in and outside of the classroom to help boys find books that might appeal to them:  http://www.guysread.com/
My 10.5 year old is about 4'10" (pretty average, in comparison with his classmates) and 95-100 lbs.    His father is 6'7" (I'm 5'3"), so myself (and his pediatrician) believe that a growth spurt will eventually be coming his way.  Additionally, I was the "chunky" girl all throughout upper elementary and junior high, until I hit a 3" growth spurt the summer between my 8th and 9th grade years.  Then, I was all the sudden the "skinny" girl.     Kids' bodies change SOOO...
The best thing you can do for your daughter... provide her with that stable weekly schedule/lifestyle and continue being the supportive, accepting father that you are demonstrating yourself to be.     She's going to have to work through the issues/hurt/etc with her mother and it is best that you stay out of that dynamic.  Validate her feelings, but also continue to be the neutral party.   In addition to the group counseling, it would probably be beneficial for her to...
I've had 3 serious long term relationships in my 10 years as a single parent.  With all 3 of them, we just took turns paying the entire tab, regardless of whether or not DS was with us.  It was never an issue or even a conversation.    
My XH lives approx. 8-10,000 miles away in another country.  Ds and I moved back to the US (from the Netherlands - XH is a Dutch national) when ds was 18 months.   Since returning the US, XH has come to visit twice (at 2.5 & 5 years old) and we flew out there when ds was 7-8 years old.  XH calls randomly (when the guilt or, most often, his wife reminds him) every few months.  I'm hoping that when ds is in high school, ds will go out there to spend a summer (or even a...
This is my favorite inclusive, straight-up sex ed website for my teen and transitional age youth clients:   Scarleteen   Additionally, here is a page from the Scarleteen site on Lesbian Safe Sex