or Connect

Posts by Holland73

First of all, you are not failing. Please do not be so hard on yourself.    Parenting a transition-aged youth (TAY), particularly one with - I'm assuming - a traumatized past is NOT easy.  You need a big support system and some training/education on working with such kids.  This is a great podcast about working with traumatized teens, particularly transitional-aged teens.  I also suggest reading about how early childhood trauma affects the brain.  The more you know,...
The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh     This was an absolutely lovely story about a young woman's harrowing, but beautiful, journey to understand and love herself and those who love her.   
  Yeah, Nathaniel might be a bit too young for your 12 year old.    As for Grave Mercy, might not be the best choice for her.  One of the main plot lines is that the main character has to pretend to be the mistress of the man she is investigating for treason.    If she liked Hunger Games, she might like Legend by Marie Lu.  I actually liked Legend significantly better than Hunger Games. 
  She has another good children's series, Nathaniel Fludd Beastologist that you and your kiddos might also like.   My son and I are reading the first book and we both like it.     Additionally, she has a new YA series that is also very good. The first book, Grave Mercy, was awesome!  The second book is being released next month. 
Flat-Out Love by Jessica Park       Although I immediately figured out the main twist of the story, it didn't matter I was immediately gripped by the characters and desire to know the "full story" behind this twist.  The characters, all of them, are awesome!  The dialogues between the characters often left me laughing out loud.  Just a really good book.   
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides       Interesting story, but left me a bit frustrated and was very slow moving.  The book spans so many years, but skips 25 of the most crucial, important years of the main character & narrator?  And those 25 years are the pivotal ones where Callie makes the most important decision of her life.  
Here's the March thread:   http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1375748/march-2013-book-challenge
So, just by way of clarification (for comers both new and old), guidelines for the Book Challenge Thread are as follows: 1) Post the books you read ... or not 2) Post a recommendation ... or not 3) Number your book ... or not 4) Make a goal for how many books you want to read in 2013 ... or not 5) Have fun with books (This one, unfortunately, is MANDATORY)
  I like and have read a few graphic novels that are definitely on my favorites list (Spiegelman's Maus, Gaiman's Sandman) and I currently have Satrapi's Persepolis in my to-read stack.  So, I am always happy to receive recommendations for others.    As for comics, I actually used to work for (and am still good friends with) a DC Comics editor, so I have definitely read my fair share of those too, but none recently. 
  Yep, that is the best way to describe Gillian Flynn... "Creepy. Weird. Creepy."  If you didn't like Gone Girl, you most likely wouldn't like any of her other books, especially since they are far more creepy and weird than Gone Girl.