or Connect

Posts by Holland73

What did you think of it?  I've read all them, except for the one just released. 
Grave Mercy by Robin LeFever     I really enjoyed this book.  Very fascinating with a strong teen female protagonist.     The Burn Journals by Brent Runyon     A very honest look at an adolescent boy's battle with severe depression, suicidal ideation and the agonizing physical recovery of surviving severe burns.     Body Finder by Kimberly Derting        Desires of the Dead by Kimberly Derting     I really enjoyed the first book in this series.  The second one really...
  Depends on where you live and what population you want to work with.  In my area, the San Francisco Bay Area, there are a ton of jobs, especially in community mental health and for those wanting to work with kids & families, drug & alcohol rehabilitation and the homeless/severely mentally ill.  Additionally, I have several former classmates who have easily found counseling positions in LA & San Diego after graduation.  I was also offered two full-time positions, one...
  I dont' have a teen yet (my ds is only 9), but I work with teens & their parents.  These are some of the recommendations I give to my teen clients and their parents about sex and relationships.    For parents:   Ten talks parents must have with their children about sex and character   Third base ain't what it used to be   Sex and sensibility: The thinking parent's guide to talking sense about sex Everything You Never Wanted Your Kids to Know About Sex (But Were Afraid...
My 9 year old son has been struggling with anxiety since he was about 5 years old.  He has (now) mild panic attacks about the weather & various types of physical symptoms, such as a stomach ache, a cut or a slight sore throat.  Dealing with anxiety, for both the child and parent, is not easy.  to you both!   What has helped us is finding a therapist (our's is a MFT - Marriage & Family Therapist) who does a mindfulness-based cognitive therapy  AND is specialized in...
  I am solo parent to an almost 9 year old ds.  After many years of teaching elementary school, I decided to go back to school to get a Masters in Counseling Psychology, which will lead to my MFT (Marriage & Family Therapy) license.  My ds was 7 when I began the program and it hasn't had any profound effect on him.  Actually, since I started my practicum a year earlier than planned, I have been around a lot more because I am not working full-time and my schedule is a lot...
  Children are a part of a system (the family) and the entire system needs to be a part of the treatment.  Nothing has been more powerful (and challenging) then when I have done family therapy versus child therapy.  Honestly, just working with the parents is far more therapeutic for the child than working with the child alone. 
You should read your own article because the Task Force does NOT say that attachment therapy is considered unvalidated and inappropriate.  They are specifically talking about "treatment techniques or attachment parenting techniques" that are abusive (withholding food/water, physical coercion and psychological/physical holding, etc) and "that portray young children in negative ways, including describing certain groups of young children as pervasively manipulative,...
  Congratulations on the baby girl AND for finishing up your thesis!!!  Two major accomplishments all at once... I'm impressed!      My paper was completed and turned in last night.  Hallelujah!!!  Now, it's just a matter of finishing up client files and taking my psychopharmocology exam, which won't be too difficult as I have a ton of knowledge and experience the topic already.  
Who you are?   I'm Heather    What you are studying?   I am working on my Masters in Counseling Psychology and MFT (Marriage & Family Therapy) licensure.   Where are you in your progress?   I'm just finishing up my 2nd years of studies and a supplemental traineeship working as a school-based counselor.  In July, I begin my 3rd and final year of studies and my "official" practicum (aka traineeship).     Goals for the month/semester/term? Right now, I just want to finish...