or Connect

Posts by karemore

We've had tons of workbooks from pre-K, K, and now we're into 1st. Overall I'd say DD and I both like the SchoolZone workbooks the best for content and visual appeal.   DD mostly asks to go on PBS kids, Starfall, and the Strawberry Shortcake websites. She does have a couple Magic Schoolbus games, but she prefers the books. She loved the Reader Rabbit preschool and K, I have to find out if they have 1st grade.   We also had a Curious George game she loved, and...
I have a bunch of the Mailbox magazines I've picked up from yard sales and booksales. I also have a bunch of Family Fun magazines, and I look through it at the Dr office etc.   What I like(d) even more for preschoolers are the Brighter Vision Learning Adventure books. They stopped selling new products but you can still get them on ebay, Amazon, or like me at yard sales and booksales.   They have different skill levels, with different themes at each level. I loved...
I'd be upset if they had watched the commercials that are on during Survivor. Mostly car ads etc, but they do advertise the CBS shows like CSI. NO way I'd want my young children watching the previews for those shows.   Survivor itself not such a big deal. The language is our biggest issue. DH and I don't swear and we don't really spend time with anyone who does in front of children. They bleep out some stuff but not all of it. I wouldn't want my kids picking up on...
I HAVE to have my bed made. I make it as soon as we get up in the am. It just feels neater and the whole room looks better. Plus that's where I dump the clean laundry to fold.   DD does not have to make her bed unless we're having a playdate. (I don't want the kids playing on her sheets.) It's just not anywhere near the top of the priority list for us.  
Four years is a BIG age gap. I would enlist DD1's help in working out a situation that is fair to her while considering her sister's feelings.
I'm sorry you had to deal with that! And I'm glad that nobody got hurt.
I've always done DDs party at home, she's 5 1/2. At first we were the only ones doing it at home, but now most of the people in our closer circle have parties at home. I find that DD and most of her friends prefer that at home parties. Some of those party places are like an assembly line, you have exactly 1/2 an hour to do this, everyone line up it's time to do that, now quick sit down and eat your pizza and cake because you need to be out of here so the next party...
I was uncomfortable when my sister first posted my daughter's photos on facebook. But now that I use facebook all the time it doesn't bother me. I got some GREAT photos of my daughter that people posted from my sister's wedding this summer. It never occured to me to be upset that so many people were posting pics of my child. She WAS an awesome flower girl Naked photos of course would be off limits, and anything that would embarrass her. Or if DD didn't want her...
NO! We do have one friend who always buys my DD a gift, but we do not exchange with friends. We've been cutting back with family! If you are invited to a friend's house for a holiday party and you are not going to reciprocate, I would bring a small gift for the family or a hostess gift and something for the child, but in general no gift exchange among friends. Where would you draw the line? If you aren't sure, just ask your friends when it's a bit closer.
A routine can't hurt! It certainly helps around here. I also notice that every six months or so my daughter goes through a phase where her behavior becomes more challenging for a few days to a week. (sometime more). I recognize it now as a developmental phase, she usually comes out the other side an inch taller, or with a new skill, and behavior goes back to "normal".