or Connect

Posts by karemore

Yes, I expect DD to keep her room clean. It's part of the bedtime routine. If she hasn't already cleaned up, I'll ask her if she wants her bath first or clean her room first. Because we do this every night before bed, it's not a big deal. Dirty clothes come off in the bathroom and go into the hamper, we don't ever eat or drink (other than water) in the bedrooms, so it's just her toys from the day.
It's young to let your DD go to a house you aren't that familiar with. Is she able to use the phone by herself to call you if she needs to? I think it's different to have a sleep over with close friend, than just an acquaintance. I don't of anyone who has started sleepovers before 2nd grade unless it's with close friends and relatives.
Everything I've read on raising finanically healthy kids recommends giving them an allowance. We started giving DD an allowance when she wanted money for the collection plate at church. She got fifty cents every sunday morning when she was 3. When she was 4 she was obsessed with the ice cream truck, so we upped her allowance. She then received enough for the collection plate, and for one ice cream a week. She saved her allowance all winter for our florida vacation...
My DD did gymnastics for 2 years and at age 4 1/2 she stopped wanting to go. Nothing happened, she just lost interest. I did have her finish out the session, which was two more weeks and I didn't sign her up for the next session. I told her if she wanted to join again, we would. She hasn't asked and it's been several months. At this age their interests change often. I think it's important for kids to feel safe and confident trying new things. If they fear they are...
At 4 (or almost any age) you can focus on what he's interested in. DD went through a long dinosaur phase at 4. We went to the library and the thrift stores, used books stores etc and got all the books we could find. We played with little dinosaur toys, sorting by different characteristics, we built them "habitats" out of legos, we did art projects with dinosaur patterns. We did dinosaur dot to dot, mazes, coloring pages. Dinosaur puzzles.... By allowing her to...
I think they should know it by Kindergarten. Especially if they are riding the bus......
I've never seen a child open a gift at a party venue. At home parties are different, about half the families open gifts, half wait. The kids at CEC want to play, they don't want to watch gifts get opened. Take along a few big plastic trash bags, have someone bag them up and take them to the car as suggested. You won't be the only people at CEC and you don't want the gifts disappearing.
I think there is a big difference between talking about spanking and incorporating it into your play. I wouldn't want someone doing that with my child either. It's not in line with our values. If you hear her mention it again, simply state that your family doesn't believe in spanking, not even make believe spanking. You don't have to get into a big discussion.
Thanks! This thread is a great resource for us too!
We officially start the new year in september for several reasons, but we do school year round. Like someone else mentioned, there's a ton of back to school hype around here. It's a simple enough thing to start our new year when the other kids go back to school. We also have to report to the school district, record attendence etc. SO many of our outside activities go on the school schedule as well. That's not to say I wait to start new material. We started...