or Connect

Posts by flyingspaghettimama

First, happyyyyy birthdayyyy to all the babies! Two years, whoo-hoo. We were in Victoria BC this weekend and picked up some yummy cakes today for Emmett. He was so happy with the candles and everything (we didn't talk about his b'day so much until tonight). He kept saying, "Happy Two Birfday, Baby." (He calls himself baby) Last night we had yummy pies and dinner over at Spughy's house and DAMN she is a fine cook. My diet days would be destined for failure if I lived...
I think the video I saw was "Comfort Measures for Childbirth," but I'm not sure, in case anyone wanted to see it. There were women crying, moaning, whining (lots of whining, made me feel better), chanting, grunting, yelling or whooping. One of the things Simkin points out is that whatever we do, it's often rhythmic in some way, and that vocalization of some sort is very reassuring and normal.
Hey Monique, you do remember that during my second birth, I asked the MW if she could just pull him out, right? Everyone laughed at me, even at that point. His head was halfway out, I just wanted to quit. Whattya mean, midwives don't bring along forceps and a vacuum? What kind of two-bit operation is this? That was a low point. I think I would be very, very uncomfortable watching a video of it. Buuuut, when I was pregnant, I did watch a labor video produced by...
Quote: Originally Posted by spughy Is this normal, for a 2 year old? I'm a little worried her imagination will start to get ahead of her and start frightening her more. Hmm, it's normal in my house, if that makes you feel any better. Probably not. But, one thing we really emphasized from the start with both kids is real and pretend. Yah, call me a stick in the mud. I talk about how things are real, or if they're "play." So, "play" food or...
Dude, I am so in on any weight-loss motivational work. I don't just visit the snack lady, I AM the snack lady. I've gained 15, almost 20 (!) lbs since June (when I started writing for reals). It's just me, the laptop, and my hand in the brownies/cakes/pizza. I do exercise 3-5x a week, but apparently burning 200 calories at the gym does not erase the 500 cals I down in one sitting. Funny, huh. Also, I really like to eat. A LOT. I think you and I may have that in...
Hey girls, popping in to say hi. Getting all nostalgic around this time...and if there's an off-mothering list still going on, can someone let me know? I am trying to ramp off discussion boards, but would like to still chat with y'all. What do you enjoy most about your toddler right now? He is very funny, as funny as a toddler can be with a vocabulary under 200 words. He gives a lot of hugs and kisses and isn't as crazy as I thought he was going to be. I think...
Drive-by posting here: If you used a doula at your hospital birth, please PM me with your e-mail address. Puh-lease? Thanks!
Hello. Trolling. I am not caught up with life events! Therefore, I am troll-like, hairy and beastly. You may curse me and my fickle dedication to MDC. But, after you do that, think waaay back to those infant days. Can anyone in our DDC who took one of these approaches with their babes (under 12 mos) contact me through e-mail: 1) Fed your baby spiceful foods 2) Self-led feeding (y'know, the big hunk of pear, feeding themselves) Thanks! I am a writerly type now,...
Why it's ok to do in a doc's or dentist's office as a newborn: the tissue is very thin, like tissue paper; and has fewer nerves. Why it's not OK to do at home with scissors and anyone over 6 months old: because the tissue is thicker, and because it will bleed, and because everyone will cry. Just had to make that point. Anyone wanting more info might want to read this dentist's site: http://www.brianpalmerdds.com/frenum.htm. It's really too bad more peds don't...
Quote: Originally Posted by Nature Family preservation is what we need to strive for, because its what works. The family IS the most important unit, even those that are dysfunctional. There is no one here that is denying that abuse happens in homes. (and the word was put in quotes before because we were talking of the falsely accused earlier,... you know.. parents that others just think are liars or paranoid for no reason..) But people need to recognize...