or Connect

Posts by flyingspaghettimama

Quote: Originally Posted by Nature Can you find the number of children who are abused, neglected or murdered in state custody every year? ...That number is shamefully higher than it is for those children living at home with their "abusive" parents. Odd. For a system designed to protect the children, it ends up being the one that harms them the most. Sure, can you share those statistics, as you are familiar with them? I like how you put...
Quote: Originally Posted by Missy Altair, Don't you hate all those movies where the white woman jumps in to save the poor, underprivileged children of color? Yay, go Michelle Pfeifer and Hilary Swank! (Based, of course, on real-life stories) I guess there are no black women doing the same. damn. thing. And it's not just that meme, it's also the white guy super-savers as well! The ironic thing is that this playbook is based on the original...
Quote: Originally Posted by Storm Bride Yeah - I have a great alternative. Butt out, because you have no clue what's going on, or how that person usually parents. So, are there no circumstances that you feel warrant "butting in?" What if you overheard a man beating his wife? Or his dog? Or his child? Is the child less deserving of protection because I don't normally know how he parents? "Well, he seems like a good husband normally, I'm sure...
Quote: Originally Posted by chinaKat My friend's four year old son once ran through the grocery store yelling "Don't beat me mama! Don't beat me!" That's because she was using "playful parenting" and had challenged him to a *race* to the end of the grocery aisle. She didn't shop in that store for months after that... even now she's terrified that the people there think she's a child abuser... See, I would call that paranoid. Was the kid...
Right, right. So we can all keep saying that CPS is the big nasty and therefore, we can feel good about turning blind eye to abusive situations? I guess nobody has any better ideas? I'm serious. If people have a great alternative or other things they'd do if they see someone calling their kids effing brats, get in the effing car? What if they said they were gonna get a belting/beating when they got home? Would that still not warrant a call? Heffern, I am sorry you had a...
Ok, taking a step back here - those who are against the whole idea of CPS - what would you suggest in its place? What would be your dream world regarding protecting children from predators, meth users, and generally abusive parents look like, while trying to assist the family unit?
I hear you on the fear, but I think it's largely unfounded. Things might be investigated, but lots of things are investigated and found to be completely untrue or without merit. It doesn't mean you'd be found guilty of a vegan lifestyle, unless you're feeding your kids only apple juice or something. It's uncomfortable. It's not meant to be comfortable. It's some serious stuff. But it doesn't mean the end of the world, either. I'd rather a few innocent people be...
My take is that different children learn differently. But I think if a child is directly asking to be taught and wants to learn, you can work with that. I think it's questionable to just ignore it, you know? My daughter was like that at three. If your daughter changes her mind, then go with that too. Sometimes kids say they want to learn things without understanding the concepts or work involved, you know? Like, I'd like to learn about astrophysics, but I'm pretty sure my...
It's not necessary to just read books - how about some reading games, where you can do a controlled vocabulary? Charades, for example? Or the post-it note game where she can take post-its (that you write words on, including some new ones) and label the house? I'm a children's librarian and there isn't a whole lot of good literature for the newly emergent reader. Bob books are the best for CVC patterns with slowly introduced digraphs and silent e and whatnot. There are...
Quote: Originally Posted by alegna I assure you there are more than 3 cases. I know many individuals with cases similar. -Angela Where the children were removed for AP reasons only (not ugly divorces and MILs) by CPS and put into foster care? That which everyone is so worried about on here? Do you have some links?