or Connect

Posts by flyingspaghettimama

Quote: Originally Posted by BelgianSheepDog I'm definitely not in the "paranoid about CPS" club. But honestly, if I was having depression issues as a parent, they're about the last place I'd turn for help. I got a heavy enough dose of shame and attempts at controlling me from "the system" as a childless 20-year-old with depression. I shudder to think what they would do "for the good of your child." Seems like Storm Bride found a way through. I agree...
Quote: Originally Posted by alegna I don't have a link but there was a case in the news a couple of years ago of a UCer who had the baby taken away JUST BECAUSE they had a UC. The agreed to move out of state and CPS allowed them to and take their child. And the mom who was breastfeeding her 6 yr old was a member here for quite awhile and there was no naked sleeping. Just nursing. And yes. Her child was taken away for...
I wouldn't assume it would go nowhere. I see that most people here say either 1) it will do nothing, so don't bother or 2) omigod! her kids will be taken from their mother and will be all your fault! There is grey. Why not call and ask what is typically done if you saw x, y, z. Ask if there are community resources available for help. Maybe you could get some business cards of free social service agencies that you could hand to a mom or stick under her windshield.
Quote: Originally Posted by merpk Race isn't so simple here. As a matter of fact, it's even more complicated than it is there, despite the "black&white" way the propoganda makes it out to be. Yes, I majored in Mideast studies. I'm aware that the Druze and Bedouin serve in the IDF, but they're also not exactly mainstream Arab Israelis, are they? I'm talking about Arab Muslim and Christian citizens of the Israeli state. Do they feel as safe as...
Quote: Originally Posted by SaraFR My Dh was holding DS at the time so I didn't actually see it happen. Afterwards I was joking that I should have given them a diaper and let them do a change since they were so curious. Well, I know that some diapers that we've had are definitely a security hazard. Pee-ew.
Quote: Originally Posted by momuveight2B I myself have been concerned that I could be reported for CLW, co-sleeping and homeschooling. I am also very conservative when it comes to medical care for myself while pregnant and for our children. It is hard to disagree with a doctor knowing they could document it and involve CPS to CYA. See, I don't get this overriding MDC concern. Color me ignorant, but can people give me some news links where...
Quote: Originally Posted by SaraFR I don't have the energy to answer the full question. I do want to say that based on the brief time I was in Israel (about a year), I found the security to be effective. The training they are given in Israel DOES make it effective. It is nearly daily that attacks are stopped. Unfortunately, it sometimes means the soldiers who stopped the attacks got hurt. I don't find the security in the US to match it in Israel. In the...
I don't know, I don't live there, I just know what I've read from pro-gun proponents in the US that we should use Israel as a model. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15142930/ http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob81.html http://www.gunowners.org/op0218.htm Quote: Israel began the program of armed citizen guards in the schools after the Maalot massacre in the 1970s, when a large number of children were slain in a terrorist incident. The volunteer...
Well, to each their own, I suppose. But if I saw a man calling his wife horrible names, I might call that in. And if I saw two guys calling each other names on the street, about to come to blows, I'd call then too. I don't like to see it, and I think mamas who are calling their children names out of a lack of other options, need help. We can see a culture of violence around us, but we can also be instrumental in stopping it.
Quote: Originally Posted by ttcanother I'd get a Honda Accord again, but the backseat in any Accord won't fit three car seats across from what I've found. Plus, I don't think it's all that safe with three seats across. Darn it. Nope. Doesn't fit.