or Connect

Posts by flyingspaghettimama

I wouldn't buy one, ever, because I think they're lethal to passenger cars, economically disadvantageous, and environmentally unsustainable. But mostly it's the lethality thing. I drive a Honda Accord now and I'm terrified of these women in their ginormous SUVs, chatting away on the phone, kids watching their DVDs in the backseats, sweeeerving into my lane. I saw that article about how the Explorer can basically carve a Honda in half. However, it is true that a Honda...
Have you been any of these places? Did you love it? We're looking to go somewhere cool for about a week, in November. My husband wants snorkeling, my daughter wants animals, I want someplace we can take an almost-two year old. We were thinking a condo rental or an all-inclusive, just for ease. We were thinking Cancun, but it looks like it's massively overdeveloped? I don't want a cruise-ship-effect where you're completely isolated from local culture. But we do like the...
But see, are there high-quality wooden dinos? That's the problem. Well, I suppose that just because I said that, there are dinos, somewhere. And someone will give me a link on it. I'm with y'all on the plastic baby toys with the lights and sounds, we mostly just got wood teethers and playthings. We tried/try to stay away from battery-operated toys of any kind, mostly because they annoy me. And a spoon and a pot is so much more entertaining anyhow. Oh, and big boxes....
Quote: Originally Posted by hottmama FlyingSpaghettiMama! My kids eat soy, have long hair, AND play with baby dolls! They have no chance against THE GAY! Oh, you are such a bad mama. You should be feeding them raw beef, giving them buzzcuts and Tonka trucks - then they'd be sure to be straight, right?
I think that sounds great! I was on this diet before and throughout my pregnancy and ended up with a 9 pounder. The only thing I would suggest is adding exercise to your mix. It will help you lose weight faster, speed up your metabolism, and get you started on exercising throughout pregnancy, which is always a good thing. Walks, yoga, easy weightlifting if you're just starting out?
Oh, you know, you give up on the plastic thing as kids get older. I'd prefer a set of playmobil and lego to scary Melissa and Doug "now with creepy smell!" made-in-China wood stuff. Also, so very few elementary children are satisfied with little wooden gnomes and cloth dolls and hand-hewn cradles as their only playthings. I'm sure some are, but they're fairly rare. And old-school Little People, those are the best! We have some wood - blocks, some wood food things,...
Oh no! Scary soy! Soy makes your kids gay!!! I'm with you, hottmama. We eat only organic soy, and organic food at home as much as possible. Most of the people who have lectured me about soy's supposed health detriments weren't looking so healthy themselves, so I take that perspective with a BIG ol' piece of salt. My chiropractor is always getting on me about soy and she is the unhealthiest looking person I've ever met. Great chiro though! OP, I'm sorry for your...
Quote: Originally Posted by USAmma Which is odd because Abi does a lot of things very well and we and her teachers always praise her... At school her teacher is telling me that she's too competitive and she and a couple of other kids will often either cry (if they are not the best) or gloat (if they are the best). Abi will often not want to play board games with us on family night because she might lose. If she does lose she has a huge tantrum over it....
Quote: Originally Posted by Terabith I'm glad I'm not out of line for feeling it was a little rude. She's really not a rude person generally; maybe it just kind of "slipped out" or something. I dunno. She's very nice and a good mom. She's a bit psycho about following the American Pediatric Association's recommendations. I totally don't understand. (But they say we HAVE to get these vaccinations!) And she's an atheist who kinda ridicules people...
I mean this in a very nice way, but do you have any personal abandonment issues? Did you feel like your mother was "there" for you? I think sometimes we can go too far in the other direction. I do personally feel that a child needs to spend lots of quality time with both parents, and each parent must come up with their own strategy for soothing and caretaking. Breastfeeding isn't the only way to soothe a child. Your husband will discover his ways of caretaking, but I...