or Connect

Posts by flyingspaghettimama

This may be totally off-base, but how much do you use praise at home? Do you do praise or observation-based statements?
From What If: Writing Exercises for Fiction Writers Quote: ...Beginners' stories often meander for three or four pages before the story begins to rear its head...(but in many great stories) first sentences put the reader in the middle of things... Write three opening lines that "start in the middle" for three different stories. My three samples: The violets rose with such force from their warm flowerbeds, that you could be forgiven for...
Ok, I just read the other thread too. I would look at some of the great books written on dealing with bullies and being a victim, and the emotional processes in general of the middle school child. Go browse your local bookstore or library. I hear that you're trying to prevent your own experience from happening to your son, but I'll bet there's a way you can accomplish that without your own baggage weighing you down. If that makes any sense whatsoever.
See, I hear you, but I think that this is probably not something you can expect the school to do. At age 11, he is old enough to take responsibility for his actions and words, at this point. I would present it as a choice he's making, and one that may have consequences. I have this talk with my seven year old, now. The school will probably see it as your responsibility to teach him the social skills in dealing with annoying people. "You may choose to hit someone, but...
At the same time, maybe your son needs some help in learning how not to escalate the situation. Him pushing her might be seen as more aggressive than pinching or spitting, you know? Walking away from the girls would be more effective and less likely to get him into trouble. She could spin that all sorts of nasty ways. I would not override your son at this age, but instead trust in him. I was homeschooled against my will as a kid, and I still haven't gotten over it. Try...
Quote: Originally Posted by myjulybabes My OB is also very insistent on a particular brand of the omega fatty acids. Anyone know off the top of their head if "Expecta" brand is really better than the others? I'm already taking fish oil, and I like the ones I have because they have a special coating so I'm not burping fish. Seriously, cross your fingers that I can get by on just the baby aspirin. I was reading up on heparin and lovenox today and was...
Wow, dynamicdoula and myjulybabes, it sounds like y'all are making some great progress in your detective work. Good for you, being so proactive in your health care. DD, I'm glad it sounds like they're very open-minded about later-term care. The only thing I would caution about is that preeclampsia board. Sometimes it's helpful, and sometimes it becomes a closed loop of hysteria and groupthink. If you know what I mean. Just mention the word "homebirth" if you really...
Human feces in the very full public library book drop. Cockroaches in a returned video case.
I agree with joensally's description of sarcasm vs. facetiousness, although specifically sarcasm is closely related to irony - it's communicating the opposite effect through intonation than the words themselves appear to convey. It's very possible to encourage a fun, playful, funny home without resorting to sarcasm. It is hard to tell tone or intent on the Internet, so I suppose it's just something each family has to determine for themselves as to what's what - but I...
Wow, barcelona, you were great in that clip! Totally natural, believable, you looked great! I sincerely mean it, not just blowing smoke up your ass. Because 1) that would be uncomfortable and 2) what would the neighbors think? Your birth story video also looks very interesting, from what I saw of it.