or Connect

Posts by flyingspaghettimama

Lurking to see if anyone posts a link. I don't like their politics at all (a la John Stossel), but I've loved their parenting-based shows so far!
Quote: Originally Posted by LauraLoo Question: Is this on and off again type learning called plateauing or asynchronous development? I think some children just learn in incremental steps, and some children learn in bursts, which appears as if they learned overnight. But kids absorb all the time from their environment and pick up concepts in order to synthesize them.
Quote: Originally Posted by ~Megan~ I think the concept of being discreet is a necessary in our current society. Many people will be turned off from nursing completely by some immodest mothers. A blanket isn't necessary but discretion is or we are likely to turn off the very people we want to convert. We will turn off people because...they didn't know that nursing was done by breast? Perhaps it was some other mysterious appendage mothers had...
Quote: Originally Posted by velochic Again... the situation is not about reading, but if she is, why is she not enjoying it and/or hiding it. Period. It's not about her level of interest. Okey-dokey. Well, good luck.
Quote: Originally Posted by supervee The proof of this being ??? Well, anecdotally - I'm a librarian, and if I could count on each finger the number of children I've met who started reading at seven or eight and were reading Harry Potter or Redwall six months later, then...I'd need a whole lot more tentacles. If we want to talk research, I'd point out this article:Precocious Readers: Past, Present, and Future from Journal for the Education...
Quote: Originally Posted by velochic I just find it curious that a kid that has known all the sounds and letters of one 26 letter alphabet and one 38 letter alphabet for a couple of years is acting this way. I came here for wisdom only. Not an evaluation of my daughter. I'm already quite aware of her abilities. This is why I don't like labels. You might also read something about "phonemic awareness" - basically, once you learn the alphabet,...
I think it sounds like you're worried about the fact she's not reading yet and wish that she would. You're finding many reasons why she's not - i.e. aloneness, fear of not reading to her anymore, being deceptive (is she normally deceptive)? What if she's just not ready? Think about this - what if she didn't start reading until she was six? Or eight? Would you think she was less herself? Would she be a worse reader at ten? Definitely not, if she's as into books as you...
I would take a look at the writings of Alfie Kohn. Is it possible that the teacher's attitude towards learning is influencing you? Quote: There’s work to be done! Life (or learning, or whatever) isn’t supposed to be fun and games! Self-denial—whose adherents generally presume to deny others as well—is closely connected to fear of pleasure and redemption through suffering, and the whole package has a pedigree that is not only philosophical but theological....
OMG, I agree with Roar again. Momsy, can you imagine having "menial tasks" for six hours per day (the average school-day length?) That would be awful. Is the teacher open-minded enough to consider creative approaches to writing, reading, etc? I know school isn't 100% fun, all the time, but is most of the day fun, or is it worksheets and drills, readers and so on? I would tune out too. Too bad they couldn't do things like learn science as a class through using The...
My daughter learned to read at 3.5, mostly through the use of fridge magnets and games ("Games For Reading" by Peggy Kaye is fun), mostly because she asked and she wanted to learn. That said, I would say there's not much difference in ability between herself and kids who started reading at five, or seven, if their home life is conducive to reading (i.e. having reading modelled in the home, going to the library, etc). The kids who start later do catch up rapidly, if they're...