or Connect

Posts by Scottishduffy

I used to care fot two little girls that shared a room and used to stall a lot! #1 When brushing teeth and getting ready I instituted the 15 minute system. I would put 15 minutes on the timer during which they had to brush their teeth, pt on PJ's if they weren't already in them, and pick out a back. By the end of the 15 minutes they had to be sitting on their bed with a book they had picked out (not running down the hall at 90 mph to get to bed, not in the kitchen, but...
I was a nanny for a little girl who would talk a lot at bedtime. I would always stay in the room with her, but she would try her best to keep talking to keep herself awake. I would do her bedtime routine (brush teeth, potty, story) and then tuck her into bed. When i tucked her into bed i would tell her that i was going to stay with her until she fell asleep but that I would not talk anymore. Then enforce it. She tried very hard to keep talking. She would ask lots of...
I knew a little boy named Zadoc, only time i have seen that name and he was sweetest kid. His brothers were Keegan, Miles, and Meshach. I have also seen: Orion, Kort, Galadriel, Eamon, Tieran
Quote: Originally Posted by Evan&Anna's_Mom * It sounds like both girls need to wake up a bit. Being angry is one thing, refusing to be in the room with the person is another. I think that, in your shoes, I would insist that BOTH girls discuss the situation, face to face, politely. If I couldn't make that happen, I would enlist the help of a professional (school counselor, free clinic counselor, something like that) because that indicates a much...
It is a very difficult situation and either way someone will feel bad. The question is who will be the one to feel bad? The victim (older D) or the offender (younger DD)? Personally I think the Victim should be compensated with the new guitar. Older DD worked very hard for that guitar. She set a goal and worked for months to meet it. It wasn't just a guitar, it was an acocmplishment of a large goal that she had set for herself. Through no fault of her own her sister...
I attended summer camp for *many* years, my camp was ~1,000 miles away from my home! It was a 4 week endeavor and there were no phone calls home. Yes, exception were made (A child was ill and needed to go into town to see the doctor, family emergencies)... but rarely did kids get to call home. When a call was made home it was the camp director calling, and the child would be brought in to talk. It was not the child herself making the call. As a counselor I had 7-8...
Quote: Originally Posted by NYCVeg There is nothing wrong with being a girl. There is nothing wrong with being a mommy or taking dance. But I don't define those things as "girly," as I think pretend parenting and dancing are perfectly natural activities for boys as well, although our culture suggests otherwise. I think you're missing my point, which is that the idea that those things = "being a girl" or "being girly" is itself a proposition that is...
Quote: Originally Posted by NYCVeg But I think there's a bigger issue here that has to do with WHY certain things are "girly" and other "boyish". "Girly" things promote domesticity (play kitchens, dolls, tea parties), culturally-defined models of what is "pretty" (make-up, nail polish, princess clothes), attentiveness to looks above all (fashion dolls, princess clothes and make-up again), consumerism (shopping, clothes), and passivity (the princess is...
When i was that age i got pretty anemic due to the whole puberty/growth spurt thing. I was iron deficient and this caused severe fatigue for me. I slept every day after school and was just generally fatigued and unable to keep up with life. I was dead tired pretty much all the time. I could sleep for 14 hours a day no problem. Maybe get her checked out and see if an iron supplement or some multivitamins might help her to feel better.
Brandi-- Ok, i get that from your viewpoint princesses are helpless and powerless. How does your daughter see them? If she is pretending 'princess' does she suddenly start crying for someone to rescue her? Does she become a more meek version of herself? Or is she using the princess as a more powerful version of herself? Is this a character where she takes control, gives orders, and directs other toys (or subjects) in activity? I am just trying to get at whether your...