or Connect

Posts by kombu

You might be surprised by how much a bit of moisturizing changes things. Skip the shampoo and massage her scalp with a lot of natural conditioner (california baby is great) and leave it in a bit before you rinse it out, then afterwards massage in some shea butter (or coconut oil or olive oil, but I've not used coconut and I've found olive oil to not be as moisturizing as shea butter) and braid or twist it up. It'll be fun! And her hair is SOOO beautiful! I am jealous of...
Check out dollslikeme.com!! It's a GREAT website with ALL kinds of dolls of various colors & ethnicities and disabilities and everything. Many of them are even cloth dolls, and many of those are even at a good price. My son is black & he has a black baby boy doll that we got him and a white baby girl doll that just sort of appeared from somewhere. And some little posable dolls that are black & some lego people that are white. He *definitely* notices skin color and...
I am a white adoptive mother of a black child. I used to do foster care, and I attended a workshop somewhat like this twice. This was focused just on hair & skin care, not on culture as well. That is a lot to fit in to one workshop!! I am a hair person, so I really enjoyed learning the basics and wanted to keep learning more. I ended up teaching myself, which wasn't hard once I'd gotten the info from the workshop, and I've enjoyed braiding my kids' hair & taking care of...
My son's half Jamaican & half Dominican. His skin color is very dark, but his hair is not nappy. It's soft tight curls, and pretty thin still at 2 1/2. I do cornrow it, and he doesn't complain. Often, I just re-do one or two braids at a time so he doesn't have to sit still for the whole head. I used to do box braids, which might be easier for your daughter. Regular french braids might work for her hair type too, if her hair is long enough to pull into 1 or 2 braids. I...
Quote: Originally Posted by MommyDOK I really want to get away from directing them....as in, "Put your shoes on. Find your homework folder. Get your lunch box. Comb your hair. Brush your teeth" etc. My oldest dd would let me tell her what to do every minute of the day and she would never learn these things herself. I"ll say, "What do you have to do to get ready for school/bed/soccer?" and she'll look at me and say, "I don't know?" Which drives me...
It was great to see this thread when I logged on for the first time in ages, just to ask about toddler tantrum ideas. I love your approach, Mama Unlimited. I think it will take a little research to see what works with my little guy. He used to be pretty low key, very easy to defuse when he started up a tantrum, and generally happy all the time. Now, he protests everything, cries and flails and screams and hits himself (not hard), any time he doesn't get his way. He...