or Connect

Posts by muliebrity22

That's a great reminder that I need to keep an open mind about the differentiation the new teacher could offer.  Unfortunately, the registration period for the after-school classes closes before school starts, so if we do want to do that, we have to do it before I know what she'll do in his regular classroom. And I fear having another year like last one in Math!
DS will be in first grade at a "gifted" school.  Our experience so far is that, while the instruction and materials are far in advance of where the public school is, they are still reasonably lockstepped.  DS has some aptitude in math that is above his grade level (he has a third grade math workbook at home that he can do most of the work in).  He could add and subtract multi-digit numbers before K (largely from a great Montessori PS teacher) and an older child taught...
My almost-5 DS has been loving the Fritz and Chesster learn to play chess game:  http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Play-Chess-Fritz-Chesster/dp/B0000950SM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289502284&sr=8-1    
This was (and is) such a complicated question for us.  My DS started K this year and turns 5 next week.  It has been a mixed bag, to be honest.  He is in an all-gifted school and, at 4, is still in the top two readers in his class (about 3rd grade level, judging from Lexile) and his math skills far surpass his peers.  On the one hand, then, I can't imagine having waited until next year to put him in K - it would be a boredom nightmare.  On the other hand, it's been a...
I don't know how much money you're able to spend on a mattress, but a tempur-pedic (or similar, I'd guess) doesn't ripple, bounce or move when a sleeper moves on the bed. Like it doesn't move at all. We bought our mattress with a work bonus years back and often say it's the best money we ever spent.
Thanks so much for all of the great recommendations. I didn't know there was a sequel to Scrambled States - we LOVE that one. I haven't seen the Macaulay books before. Those look really interesting. We'll definitely spend some time with the picture books at the library next time (we tend to concentrate on the early readers and the MT books which my son loves, even though they are not my favorite to read aloud by any stretch). And I have some great new early reader...
I looked into a "Gifted Preschool" that we ultimately decided not to enroll my son in because the atmosphere was way too rigid for me (it's creepy walking through a preschool, on 5 different visits, where no kids are laughing or making real noise even on the playground), but one of the first questions the Director asked me was whether my son had eczema/allergies. She said the school saw a very pronounced correlation. I remembered it only b/c my DS did have eczema as a baby.
My 4 1/2 DS reads at about a 2nd grade level (maybe higher), but he doesn't have much stamina. So, he can easily read Magic Treehouse, for example, but doesn't want to read a book that long out loud and/or by himself. He is not that interested in chapter books in general (other than MT), even if we read them, in any event. I am finding it hard to challenge him with shorter but difficult reading material that doesn't involve a chapter book. We really like the "We Read...
This is slightly off-topic, but with so many kids creating so much art, we have struggled with how to display it. This year, my son's montessori preschool did a big art segment culminating in an art show -- and, afterward, 20+ pieces of art coming home with my son. A few of them were large paintings on canvas, several of which we framed at a craft store and hung on various walls in the house. Some of them were smaller -- a 8 12 x 11 splatter painting, a self portrait on...
Quote: Originally Posted by Martha27 I just remembered what used to be my absolute fav drink- "Clearly Canadian". It came in wierd shaped bottles and was like a sparkling soda in flavors like black cherry and raspberry? I loved that stuff! Anyone else remember this stuff? Oh my gosh, yes. I haven't thought about that in years.