or Connect

Posts by ljc

edit
Lissy 123,  So sorry you are having so much pain.  I can't think of any other conservative approaches.  Sounds like you have tried many.  My son did not have a positive response to conservative treatment.  With the exception of orthotics providing some pain relief.  He did have a positive response to surgery, but was much younger at the time. Hope you find relief. Laurie
Sorry I didn't see this sooner.  We saw Dr Spencer at Children's.  I can't say enough good about her.  Good Luck.  My son was not a late walker (10 months).  But always had a "funny" gait pattern when running.
msgo - I hope you find the answers you are looking for - i assume the pedi ortho will be better able to answer your questions.  keep us posted.
We were diagnosed with MRI.  My son later needed a CTScan - I was told this was the best way to see it.  After surgery we were told the coalition was even bigger than the CTScan showed.  My son was age 7 at the time.  His coalition was fibrocartilage when diagnosed.  I suspect it would have ossified as he aged and would have been better visible on XRay.  XRay shows bone.  MRI does show the ligaments and tendons, but also cartilage.  CTScan is not with risk/radiation...
dfk1 - so sorry you are dealing with this - it's terrible to feel like you can't make things better for your son.  my son is still doing great (ie no pain) surgery was in December.  my son is quite a bit younger (8 years old).  i feel lucky that we found his coalition accidently when he injured his foot.  and we were able to fix it early on in his life.   my son had negative xrays and then an MRI that found the coalition.  but my understanding is that the best way to...
I don't know if this will be helpful.  But my son was 20 months when my twins were born.  We had all kinds of strollers - depending on the situation.  I had a double for outings that didn't require a stroller for my oldest - or when another adult could push a single.  We often used a double and wore one child.  I liked having a light easy to fold double. We did have a triple stroller (it was a runabout) we purchased it second hand and it saved my sanity.  It was...
No gifted kids here - but we love to build!  I have more legos than I care to admit - most from yard sales and freecycle.  My sons like the kits, but spend most of the time building their own creations. We also love unit blocks - and still use them to build castles, army forts, buildings, farms, etc. Another favorite are the Keva Planks - can be a bit of a challenge - but that is part of the fun. Legos get the most use - but i love the wooden blocks and the keva...
  HMM - I don't know if it's a reason that kids do stupid things?  That is probably just a development/maturity thing.   And I agree that the above activities should not be considered dangerous - though could be depending on what you are doing on your bike, board, skiis etc.   Assessing the risk - after researching the topic - is why as a parent I won't have a trampoline.   
Hmm - to do one or both at the same time - tuff question???  Will the MD do both at same time?  Our protocol was to be non - weight bearing for 4 weeks.  With both at same time this would mean wheelchair for a month - so you have to think of your set up at home/school etc.   I think this would be hard on a kid - not that 2 back to back surgeries are not.  We only had to do one foot to do - so I've never thought about both at the same time.   As for school my son took a...