or Connect

Posts by katmann

This is such an interesting thread. I've been thinking about this issue with 20-mo-old DS, who has over 100 words, but terrible pronunciation. For example, "sha-sha" can mean shovel or shower, depending on the context (luckily there's not too much overlap of the contexts of those words). Just in the last week or two, he's started putting consonants on the ends of his words. Whereas ketchup used to be "ca-ca," it's now "ca-cup." He can also put the "p" on the end...
DS's hair is much longer in the back and on the sides of his head, so I've never had to worry about his bangs. Neither DH nor I want to cut it, since it's so beautiful. We've only gotten a couple of "shes" or "hers" before, so we're not worried about it. He's even had a couple of dread locks pop up, but we've combed them out. We're not ready to go down that road quite yet.
What feedback have you gotten from your daycare provider? Is he the same way there? Have they noticed certain triggers? Could it be related to separation anxiety? What about his diet? You could try limiting sugar and food additives/colorings. Sometimes those things affect behavior, though they're linked more to behavior problems like ADHD. I'm so sorry you're going through this. Hugs!
Ha Ha! This is so funny because I've never checked a chart before, but because of your post, I went to babycenter's website and looked at the 19-24 month page. My ds is 19 months, and for 20 month olds, they list "exploring genitals" as advanced. Ds has been doing this for months now, so I guess he's really advanced! Giggles aside, there's probably not even a sound medical basis (i.e., research) for these types of things. Take them with a HUGE grain of salt.
Quote: Originally Posted by Lydiah I only let her watch 30 minutes today and it was a very long day let me tell ya. I think if you're trying to cut back, that makes you a good mom, so don't beat yourself up. Does your DD like to read? My 19 mo old does, but sometimes it's the same books over and over and it can get a bit tiresome. And of course, you're not getting anything done if you're reading to a toddler. But, I always end up...
Quote: Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy OK so the sore has healed & we're still having the same problems. I can't pick up more potties now but I'm on the look out for them & will try to get some (though I think he'll still want them to stay in the bathroom, he's very picky)... We have tried more diaper-free time but we just aren't home enough -- we are literally always out & about. That's part of the struggle, if we want to leave the house he needs his...
The best we've got from DS (19 mos) is "gug-guh wah-wah" which turned out to mean "Babygirl water." He was looking out the window at our cat (babygirl) drinking water out of the little pond by our patio. He seems overall to have an excellent vocabulary, in that he understands quite a lot of what we say, and can follow most of our directions. But his pronunciation is poor, and lots of words have the same sounds (like "pah pah" might mean Pooker (another cat), Grandpa,...
I just recently read an article by Christiane Northrup about calcium, and her take was that calcium from veggies (anything nondairy/nonmeat) is WAY better than the dairy variety. It's pH related, but the short version is that we're able to utilize the calcium in veggies much more easily. Here's the link. So if you're getting veggies, beans, and some of the other things mentioned above into your LO, that should be fine. Especially the dark, leafy greens - kale,...
DS didn't take one nap till about 17 mos, and we pushed for it because two naps were one too many. We couldn't get him down till 9, and we were exhausted trying. So we pushed his morning nap back a little each day, till about 11 eventually. Actually, lately it's been more like 12. Sometimes in the afternoon he gets a little sleepy-cranky, and he'll doze in the car if we're out running errands. If nap #2 is too long, we can't get him down before 9, so we try really...
We usually take a little tupperware of dried fruit (raisins, costco blueberries, apricots) and cheerios in the car for DS (19mos), and it survives the heat pretty well. I'm not thrilled about the sugar content, but it's a lifesaver when I need to reach back to give him something. I've also been known to feed him fig newtons - either the healthy version (like Newman's own) or the real thing, depending what's handy. I make up for it at home by feeding him lots of...